Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoot won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Scoot won't start

09 RKC with Dynojet PCV
She cranks, but just won't start. I squirted gas in throttle body while it was cranking and it tried to start, so it seems like fuel issue. I can hear the fuel pump priming. I checked fuses and relays before hand. Pulled out fuel filter assembly and it looks OK. Filter doesn't look bad. I Pulled off fuel line off from injectors and no fuel when fuel pump turns on and is cranking over. I checked run/kill switch, and it's OK. PCV has green light on module. Don't see any codes. I wonder if fuel pump could be clogged where it pulls fuel from tank. I noticed on fuel filter assembly, there is a ground wire that you have to disconnect, along with the connector to pull fuel filter assembly out and away from of tank. Where that ground wire attaches to the body of the assembly, there is no metal for it to contact, just the plastic body. Seems strange. I emptied the tank, and refilled it. didn't see any debris, so it's a mystery to me. could the fuel line quick disconnect valve be messed up somehow?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Folks have reported here that the O-ring in the fuel line quick disconnect at the gas tank can get misformed and cause that problem. Might want to check it, especially if you used that part just before your problem occurred. Not certain if the O-ring will go bad on it's own and suddenly block the fuel flow...I'm certain somebody will chime in soon about it, though. I believe the O-ring is the same part as for the oil/tranny drain plugs, if I recall correctly.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Definately check the oring on the quick disconnect, also unplug the pcv and try starting the bike. Even though the green light is on and no codes the PCV could have gotten some moisture in it to cause it to act up.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 08 ultra and stared to go out my driveway and it died it would not start I checked every thing I took the plugs out squirted gas in there put them back in and it stared for about 2 seconds so it was gas problem I was going to take the tank off disconnected the quick disconnect then on a whim I pluged it back in and it started right up I rode it for a couple of days and it did it again unplug the line pluged it back in and it stated up got a new disconnect and proble4m fixed

Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,453 Posts

always better to do the easy stuff first. you've done everything but unplug the pcv. i would try that before i start digging deeper.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member

OK guys, thanks for the pointers. I will check out the quick disconnect on fuel line., and the PCV.
Should I disconnect the PCV and plug back in the connector to the ECM as if were stock, or just unplug the PCV and let it hang?
Also, has anyone pulled the fuel pump and looked to see if there is a screen or something where it pulls fuel from the tank, or how is it set up? Wondering if something could block it from pulling gas up.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Yes, there is a screen over the intake, but it rarely gets blocked...however, the hard vinyl hose that's in the gas tank sometimes develops cracks, according to other members here...haven't had it happen myself. So I'm just reporting back on other threads...somehow I had the impression that you had removed the fuel pump/screen from the tank, maybe that was because that's where I would have gone first...but it's time to get to it now.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmything
Should I disconnect the PCV and plug back in the connector to the ECM as if were stock,
yes, completely bypass the pcv.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Veekness
Yes, there is a screen over the intake, but it rarely gets blocked...however, the hard vinyl hose that's in the gas tank sometimes develops cracks, according to other members here...haven't had it happen myself. So I'm just reporting back on other threads...somehow I had the impression that you had removed the fuel pump/screen from the tank, maybe that was because that's where I would have gone first...but it's time to get to it now.
I just pulled the fuel filter assembly out and checked the filter. It didn't look bad at all. Hoses to the assmbly looked OK, but I didn't go as far to pull the fuel pump yet. Thanks, I'll check that out also.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

any update?

Quick Reply: Scoot won't start