Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To LED or not to LED

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:21 PM
FireFighter200
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default To LED or not to LED

So how many of you out there installed LED accent lighting? If so, did you buy a kit or piece it together?

I have been on the fence about doing a kit from Custom Dynamics. I am looking to add more noticeability during night time riding but I don’t want to make the bike look to trashy. I had a kit from Custom Dynamics on my old Yamaha and it worked great with no problems. Any ideas would be appreciated.

PJ
2014 Amber Whisky SGS

Old 05-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 499 Posts

All my lights except the headlight are upgraded to LED for the extra visibility, but too afraid of the trash factor like you mentioned to add accent lighting. I think some small well placed ones would help, but don't care for the Vegas style light shows some guys go with. To each his own, I just don't care for the over the top stuff.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2014 SGS: This weekend I installed the F & R LEDs from CD. I went with the Dynamic Rings in front & standard LEDs in the rear. I will eventually add a LED headlight once I find what I like. Im not into the multi LEDs are over the bike... just not my style.

I do think the LEDs add a measure of safety

Last edited by Fast Aire; 05-18-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I added the CD turn signals front and back and went with the Cirus LED headlight. For 75 bucks for both bulbs you cant go wrong. All plug and play on the 14's As far as the light show LEDS I may invest in a few down the road but for now it was about the safety factor not the check me out at the shows factor

Batman

Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I did all LED lighting on my 99 for safety, much better at night, while I was at a bike week event I had a LED orange engine light kit put on, since then I have added to it, I have bought strips from other places but have found Custom Dynamics to have the best stuff.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I think most here missed the point. I believe OP is asking about accent lighting.

When I first got my SG, I mounted led accent lighting around the motor (a couple of sets of Lizard LED's - link below). 6 or 8 different colors & patterns available, etc. but the novelty wore off real quick for me. Less than a year later I pulled 'em all off. I just felt kinda hokey, I guess, but to each his own. For what it's worth, Custom Dynamics is a great company to deal with.

https://www.lizardleds.com/motorcycl...ight-kits.html

Old 05-18-2015, 06:36 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I have CD accent lighting, lots of it. I believe they improve my visibility at night. To me, some of the accent lighting I've seen looks too pimp. I don't care for the strobe/breathing or changing colors. I chose a single color (red, like my running lights) and they don't strobe or change intensity. I have them under the tour pack, under the bags, below the battery box, the horn, the air cleaner, both frame rails under the engine, under both sides of the tank, under either side of the front fender, and behind the speaker grills which I made from a mesh trash can. I installed them carefully so that they are not directly visible, although the under bag lights reflect off the mufflers when parked on the kickstand. Looks great to me and you can see me coming from a mile away. Operated by a remote key fob.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:30 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought the walmart stuff as a joke, put on red above the motor and blue underneath. it actually turned out reall good, took an hour to install and it is still on, guess the joke was on me!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd be concerned of the legalities of red and blue lights in combination.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 AM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I did same as 94ruck, except I got the ones from Autozone. Did red over the motor and ran em off the aux. switch. I like mine, they don't change colors and they're bright and I may have $30-40 invested in them. I've had them for about two years and they still work perfectly. And true, they aren't legal in La. and probably most states.

To LED or not to LED-img_9579.jpg

Quick Reply: To LED or not to LED