Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king 2002-2007 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:51 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,471 Posts
Default road king 2002-2007 questions

Hello,

I just joined hdforums so I could learn about road kings before buying one but lurked as well before doing so. My preference is 07 but wanted to know if theres any difference between and 04 for example vs an 07 other then one being newer. The bike I like happens to be an 07 road king custom but if theres no difference between an 06 and 07 then I wouldnt restrict myself to that one model year in my search. Are there any significant differences mid 2000's to 07? I understand 09 had a different frame and wider tire among other things. Im 6'2" so would an 09 with a longer frame be a better fit vs an 07?

Forgive the newbie questions.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 PM
el loco rico
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 was the first year with 96in motor and maybe the 6 speed tranny. Frame was the same as years before also no abs brakes

Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

When I bought my King 5 years ago, I specifically wanted an '07, because it was the only year that had 96" motor,6-speed tranny, AND throttle cables. They went to the TBW (throttle-by-wire) in '08, and you couldn't GIVE me a TBW bike--too many reliability problems, and a "disconnected" feel between the throttle & the motor.

Nope--cables for me all the way! Only thing i don't like about the '07 & '08 bikes, is it is geared very high, but that is easily remedied with an '07 Sportster sprocket.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

The 07 and earlier bikes also only have a 5 gal tank. 08 to present have 6 gal. It really comes down to what you can afford. If it were me I would be trying to get into an 09 or newer RK. The new frame design really does improve the ride plus you get better gearing, a 6 gal tank, ABS and Cruise control. All of which I wouldn't be without. I ride an 08 RK My son rides an 06 and even though they look almost identical there are big differences in the ride.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:59 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

'02 (better crank and bearings and newer fuel injection) was the best pre '09 year. '03-'06 (crank went down hill) were all basically the same. '07(added 96" motor and 6 speed)-'08 (added TBW, Brembo brakes and 6 gallon tank) were Transition years I would stay away from. '09 got the new frame and exhaust without cat). '10-'13 (got new o2s and cat along with 103) basically the same.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:15 AM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BB59
The 07 and earlier bikes also only have a 5 gal tank. 08 to present have 6 gal. It really comes down to what you can afford. If it were me I would be trying to get into an 09 or newer RK. The new frame design really does improve the ride plus you get better gearing, a 6 gal tank, ABS and Cruise control. All of which I wouldn't be without. I ride an 08 RK My son rides an 06 and even though they look almost identical there are big differences in the ride.
Those were the reasons I bought an '09. Also the '07+ 96's got a hydraulic cam chain tensioner, better service life and reliability.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello New Man and welcome! As you can see your innocent question has quite a few answers.

I'm reminded of when the Mustang was launched, as the car we always promised ourselves IIRC. The basic car was very cheap, but for just a little more the lucky buyer could - and then a little more still was even better - and so we were lured on until the top model, with all the bells and whistles, looked really affordable and utterly irresistible!

You have the challenge of deciding where on the step-ladder, ably described by Oldhippie, that you would like to get on. There are many thousands of owners of older bikes happily travelling the highways, I'm still getting by on my 1990 Glide, after all. It's a trusty ole axe with a few improvements to gee it up a little, but older bikes can still get us around and be fun.

We will be pleased to help you spend your money!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:28 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Seems I have a lot more to think about before making a decision! The 07 custom I have a picture of that I really like may have been altered. Not sure if its lowered or what was done to make it look the way it looks but my concern is I buy an 09 and it looks different in some way that bothers me because its longer or just proportioned differently somehow. First model year is always a valid concern as well.

Let me ask this. Regardless of what I buy am I going to be dealing with things they call part of the charm of owning a harley? Should I expect to live with deficiencies, quirks and high maintenance as par for the course? Im okay with that, Im used to cars that need attention. Im a mechanic so I can work on it, just want to go in with my eyes wide open.

Thanks again for the input!

Paul

Old 06-05-2015, 07:04 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Every Harley has its quirks, some guys rack up 70k miles with nothing but basic maintenance(oil,plugs,tires, etc ) other guys can't seem to go 5k without needing to replace or repair something. The 09+ models are generally superior in alot of ways, but there's nothing really bad about the older ones. If you push em really hard, they'll wobble a bit on high speed sweepers,but if ya Get a true-track stabilizer on the rear of your swingarm and upgrade the shocks, it'll be rock solid.

Parts for the pre-09 bikes also tend to run a slight bit cheaper too.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Let me ask this. Regardless of what I buy am I going to be dealing with things they call part of the charm of owning a harley? Should I expect to live with deficiencies, quirks and high maintenance as par for the course? Im okay with that, Im used to cars that need attention. Im a mechanic so I can work on it, just want to go in with my eyes wide open.

Thanks again for the input!

Paul
A member recently posted that he has completed 200,000 miles on his '08 Street Glide. He couldn't have done that if he was for ever fussing over his bike! In other words any deficiencies and quirks are not as bad as reading the internet might lead us to believe. Harleys can be much more troublesome when we start 'customising' them, which can often bring into one place incompatible components and backyard incompetence.

I suggest you consider buying a bike which is close to stock, rather than one that has had a succession of unknown 'enthusiasts' meddling with it!

Quick Reply: road king 2002-2007 questions