Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:18 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide Radio Problem

Having an intermittent problem with my HK radio on my 09 street glide.

I have the CB module installed so I have the three way selector switch for the speakers.

For the purpose of this thread lets say that the up or forward position is for the head set only, the middle position is for the speakers and the down or back position is for both speakers and the headset.

Here is the problem. As I ride the bike with the radio on, switch in the middle position, no difference if it is a cd, radio or my aux jack, the speakers will go quiet. Not a sound. It will play for any length of time, and then just nothing. If I hit the selector switch to the down or back position, the sound comes through the speakers again. Plays for a little, then stops.

Whenever it stops, if I change the switch position, the music will play again. Sometimes it plays for minutes, sometimes seconds.

Not affected by bumps in the road or vibrations. I took the fairing off and checked for loose wires. Everything is good.

Ran the HK diagnostics for each position for switch, and no errors.

I started a ride with my headset on and left it in the up position and rode a good hour with the headset never losing sound. Minutes after switching to the speakers, the sound goes out again.

I am thinking a new switch, for about $100. Don't think it is the head unit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Keith

Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 PM
campos
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley's Harman Kardon radio's are crap! So so so many of them will do that. Mine didn't even last a year before it started acting up. Either upgrade to an after market stereo with an amp or contact Iron Cross and they will either fix your old radio or they will offer to buy it. I sold mine to them and with the money I bought an after market.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

you can check if your ground wires are secured down, ,but odds are good your head unit is going out. you can send it to ironcrossaudio and they will repair it, and add a few upgrades to improve the quality/functionality

www.ironcrossaudio.com

Old 08-29-2016, 11:31 AM
ssgunny
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been experiencing this exact same issue. I am to believe it is the speaker switch as the radio seems to work fine. I did install a BT amp and speakers earlier this year and thought there was an issue with the amp cutting out but after fiddling with the speaker switch and now seeing this thread have ruled that out and suspect the switch.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:57 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,948 Likes on 21,311 Posts

I have my original one that I got with the bike.
Never had an issue with it.
PM me if you're interested in buying it.
I've no need for it anymore.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:59 PM
ssgunny
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I have my original one that I got with the bike.
Never had an issue with it.
PM me if you're interested in buying it.
I've no need for it anymore.
Thanks for the offer. Feedback in a PM from the OP says there were some loose solder connections that were fixed by Iron Cross. I guess I need to figure out if I should repair the radio and possibly add blue tooth/preouts as I like having CB or get a new head unit.