Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Center Fairing For Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Center Fairing For Road King

Sold my 99 Road King and couldn't decide between a Street Glide and another Road King. I wanted the radio in the Street Glide but didn't want the fairing on full time. Finally decided to go with a new Road King which will be here mid-May. I was going through the posts here and learned of the Dead Center Fairing. This sounds like the perfect answer for me.

Got some questions for anyone with a Dead Center fairing on a Road King.

Were you happy with the quality, fit, and painted finish?

Does the fairing seem secure? Hate to have it fall off while moving!

Is the sound quality good?

Does the fairingrub against any chrome parts? I was worried about the weight bearing down on the headlamp nacelle and marring the chrome.

Any other suggestions or comments welcomed!

Thanks,

Andy Engemann

Old 04-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dead Center Fairing For Road King

ORIGINAL: Andy Engemann

Sold my 99 Road King and couldn't decide between a Street Glide and another Road King. I wanted the radio in the Street Glide but didn't want the fairing on full time. Finally decided to go with a new Road King which will be here mid-May. I was going through the posts here and learned of the Dead Center Fairing. This sounds like the perfect answer for me.

Got some questions for anyone with a Dead Center fairing on a Road King.

Were you happy with the quality, fit, and painted finish?

Does the fairing seem secure? Hate to have it fall off while moving!

Is the sound quality good?

Does the fairingrub against any chrome parts? I was worried about the weight bearing down on the headlamp nacelle and marring the chrome.

Any other suggestions or comments welcomed!

Thanks,

Andy Engemann
Andy,

Mine was purchased prior to paint options being available from DCC. I have heard from many that have purchased with the paint options that it has been of great quality. This is one of the reasons other then over all cost an PITA that I recommend you get it with the paint option.

Sound good, again, mine was purchased prior to radio options, and again, I recommend the radio option since its also a PITA to spec out everything your looking for sight unseen and hope it sounds good. The DCC radio options that others have told me about sound great. Mine sounds great, but I paid through the nose for everything and made my own wiring harness and installed and drilled and mounted everything myself. I don't know your level of abilities. So as a general rule I recommend that you get it totally optioned out from DCC. (not I dont' work for DCC, I don't get a commission either) But I do know what I am talking about in this matter. I have gone through it and my only interest is in saving you some of your hard earned money and time! Plus I do like the product. In that if you do not get a DCC radio option, it will only sound as good as your wallet limits your items that you buy to install into the fairing. Sohow well do you want it to sound is then up to you, your tastes, your ability to install what you bought, and how all the items that you bought interact with each other when assembled and operating. And of course wire everything properly for it to with stand weather and vibrations, not chaff, and be sturdy with enoungh current carring capibility with fuse protection.

I still recommend that you purchase the radio option, it comes with a wiring harness that is pre made and has H-D style plugs that you can remove the entire system in a moment. (all you have to do is wire it to bike power)

The DCC fairing is mounted on durable "Stainless Steel" mounts, that slide down onto your stock windshield (windscreen) fork mounts. NO part of the fairing touches anything on your bike but the mounts on the forks.

Lastly, its less expensive for you to get the entire fairing totally optioned out then to do it like I did, horror stories of paint, to my own wiring harness, reasearching the radio / speakers / grills etc.... not even mentioning gauges.....

Good luck,

Oh DDC fairings are stable when on, and are lockable.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks good.

Hack

Old 04-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like just what I want!

Andy

Old 04-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take Rams advice. Although I have the Quadzilla, I too have spent too much time and $$ trying to get it finished the way I want andit still needs some additional work. Buying it painted and with the stereo installed will save you $$. I have seen all the detachable fairings and none of them rub the nacelle or anything else. My nacelleis painted so it is more delicate than chrome andI have had no problems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/BC84068BCB934211AC31BB937B7B241D.jpg[/IMG]