Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG Open trailers VS enclosed V nose

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
That's what I'm thinking....It's my understanding that U-Haul doesn't like to rent it's motorcycle trailers for overnight/long distance hauling. I've done a day rental, no problem. Any have any experience??
3 weekends ago, I rented an U-Haul 5' x 9' motorcycle trailer with built in ramp with springs, wheel guide and wheel chock. Only downside is that U-Haul doesn't have a spare tire for the trailer. However, I couldn't feel a thing or two when pulling behind and rides like a dream. Just an amazing trailer which only cost me $39 a day to rent. $25/day and $12/ins. coverage. Thought it wasn't too bad at the end of the day when I returned it back to the same location.

Thorey

Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

If you were towing with a small sedan the trailer would make more difference. Since you are pulling a box with a box you are already making the "hole" in the air with the tow vehicle, the shape of the front of the trailer is pretty much irrelevant. Most of your drag will be generated by the flat back of the trailer "sucking" lots of air into the empty space left by the trailer/tow vehicle package. The turbulence behind a vehicle represents energy transferred from the vehicle into the air. A long wedge attached to the back of the trailer would minimize turbulence but if this were really practical with all of the other drag items you can't fix, (wheels, fenders and axles being "biggies") you would see more of those on the road. You don't so they don't help enough for the extra trouble they cause. For everyone towing a trailer, if fuel economy is cut in HALF, that is a lot of extra work being done by the engine and transmission, thus LOTS of extra heat. An auxiliary transmission cooler is advised if this will be done for a long distance or frequently. If fuel consumption is important, speed is expensive, drag goes up by the square of the velocity change. Drag at 60 mph is 4 times what it is at 30. The air you are pushing out of the way and dragging behind you is influenced by your AIRSPEED, not your road speed. Driving 60 mph into a 30 mph headwind makes your air drag the same as driving 90 mph in still air.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a singleplace Kendon. Tows very nicely, big wheels (for a trailer), light. I've never checked mileage, but I very much suspect open Kendons cause much less mileage drop than any enclosed trailer. I suspect nearly the same from open "landscape" trailers v. box trailers, but adding a solid floor and front rails is going to have an effect on mileage.

I'd have a box trailer -- if I had a place to store it. Urbanite. Having said that, I'm unsure about the hotel safety issue mentioned by many posters. I am certain, however, that when my bike is loaded and chained to the trailer it is safer than when it's simply parked at the same hotel, while my truck and trailer are at home. When I park truck/trailer/bike, the trailer typically is boxed in by the truck and is also chained to the truck (or light pole) with more than safety chains.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Seriously?

Old 11-02-2015, 02:15 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
That's what I'm thinking....It's my understanding that U-Haul doesn't like to rent it's motorcycle trailers for overnight/long distance hauling. I've done a day rental, no problem. Any have any experience??
I haven't had an issue in the last 2 seasons pulling it 700 miles each way and had it for a week. Not an issue. I used to never trailer until I started dating/living with my current girl. She likes to ride somewhat but she is not pulling 12 hour runs on the slab.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:53 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

If you can't ride your Bike to where you need to go, you must have a trailer to take a Bike.
If you are worried about fuel mileage from a Toyota 6 cylinder mini van, maybe you do need
an open trailer. I would make sure it has a rock guard or a small tool box up front to help
protect your Bike. Safety of your Bike should be your main concern when towing a Harley
on a small open trailer, or even in a box trailer.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:10 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

The enclosed also acts as a garage when you get where your going. The draw back for me is i like to be able to see whatever i am towing. With an enclosed you always wonder if everything is still strapped in right. I have towed both, to me it seems the open trailers are lighter and don't get pushed around as much.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM
jenglish007
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.ironhorsetrailers.com - lightweight, does not kill your mpg like a box trailer, and just cool looking. If you can not ride there then this is the way to go!

Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Since I already own a Wells Cargo 6x10 v-nose, that is what I use. Yeah I take an MPG hit, but I really do like the security and weather protection it gives (for whatever I’m hauling). I put electric brakes on it which was a nice upgrade, and my V6 Tacoma handles it fine.

Those enclosed Iron Horse units do look good tho!

Last edited by rv7garage; 02-20-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:00 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
Since I already own a Wells Cargo 6x10 v-nose, that is what I use. Yeah I take an MPG hit, but I really do like the security and weather protection it gives (for whatever I’m hauling). I put electric brakes on it which was a nice upgrade, and my V6 Tacoma handles it fine.

Those enclosed Iron Horse units do look good tho!
How did you put brakes on it?

Quick Reply: MPG Open trailers VS enclosed V nose