Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt tightening

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:53 PM
ahab211
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt tightening

Hi Anyone tighten their belt and have any have tipson saving grief on trial and error for getting the chirpping sound out. I read thats most likely caused by a loose belt on another forum on this site. I tried the hotcandle wax tip for reducing the chirpping but just got wax on the bike and couldn't get it where i needed to. I have about a 1 1/2 play in the belt to 2 inch.Also what tools are needed and I suppose it needs to be upon the jack .

Old 05-13-2007, 06:01 PM
aquaskiman
Tourer
Default RE: belt tightening

I bought the belt tool from Harley Sounds like you have it way looseGeorge

Old 05-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual I have for 07 Ultra Classic states you need tension gauge p/n HD-35381A. Deflection should be 3/8 to 7/16 when applying ten pounds on the tension gauge pushing the belt up. It says it can be done on the jiffy with no rider or luggage. It can also be done with the rear tire in the air. Depending on where where you measured your deflection I'd say you are way too loose, even my 94 was only supposed to deflect a half inch. This info is out of an 07 service manual, you need to find the info for your bike. Adusting the rear axle back to increase tension on the belt has to be done evenly on both sides. I fashioned a gauge from a brazing rod based on info provided ina 94 UC service manual. This device is to measure the distance from the divit in the swing arm ends(under the chrome caps) to the center of the rear axle to keep your rear sprocket aligned with the transmission sprocket. The info is available, the dealer service department may even provide it to you, check around. It "SHOULD" stop chirping if the sprockets are straight and tension gets corrected.

Arvid

Old 05-13-2007, 07:10 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I was reading thru the 07 sm last night and I think there is a mechanisim on the axles that as you turn the weld end of axle(loose but snug) it pushes both sides out evenly. Hopeing If Im careful this wil keep it inline. In the past I only eyeballed it and adjusted by tapping or backing out adjuster screws as evenly as I could. Usually got lucky...usually[:@]

Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Puzzled
Banned

Does your 02 have the adjuster bolts at the back of the swing arm or does it use the ecentric bolts like the new bikes have?

The ecentric bolts make it goof proof.

The early stlye adjusters are a little tougher.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:10 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley makes a tool to check the adjustment... Quick & Simple!!!

HD PART# 40006-85 $24.95

Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks voodoodrug for making me go back and reading the sm again. I jumped from an evo to the 07, and glad I got a sm. Trying to catch up on all the changes appears it will be EVERY time I want to do something on the bike. I found an exploded view on page 2-17 under rear tire removal that shows the aduster cam on the left is fixed to the axle and the right cam is keyed. Now thats sailor proof.

Arvid

Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing that causes the chirping are the rubber mounts that hold on the mufflers.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try rubbing a block of paraffin on the edges of the belt. Sometimes the belt will chirp even if it's correctly tensioned, but the paraffin will take care of it.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 AM
ahab211
Cruiser

Hi, Mine has the adjuster bolts at the back of the swing arm. Thanks I'll try the paraffin block and tighten the belt and get the tool from the dealership. Also I might have overstated the play on the belt as it was just a guesstimateon afterchecking the play in it.

Quick Reply: belt tightening