Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapped to cop seat

Old 04-02-2016, 02:48 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts
Default swapped to cop seat

Thanks to a Forum Member, I got a 2011 cop seat complete ( FireTroop91- thanks Ethan!) for my 2009 FLHTC

I have experience with this since I have a pogo on my '53 and my FXRp had a cop seat when i bought it from the CHP- I also learned to ride on servi, combo and solo bikes in the 70's.

As I age, I have had back problems and I like to change stuff around, often buying parts just to try out- some I keep some I pass on.
for instance in this pic you can spot the fairing lowers, EZ-up stand, the glo- saddlebag latches, supertrapps, DH light and some other stuff

on this bike I have used a:
brawler seat ( good for in-town- hard on the hip joints).
09/10 version streetglide seat ( good for 4 to 6 hours, nice positioning, good control.
ultra seat- stock- worked just great for distance

with each swap I changed windscreens to match seated height ( rotozipped stockers).

so now to the cop seat- install is quick and easy, this is the 2011 version with the air tank, which I mounted in the left saddlebag with velcro ( I may swap to a kong or the current shock type).
required really only quick repositioning of the ecm, and removal of the rear gas tank bolts- and my backrest mount.

The past few days have been awesome for ride and control- I have lots of dips and speed bumps in my area at about 230 I have been using about 35 PSI ( with my shock pump).
I have always like an upright position and my knees are now below my hips, good for the joints. My upper body weight is transferred through my abs to the legs and feet- good for the back & pressing down on the floorboard will turn the bike.

other adjustments have included bring my stock bars up a bit, and swap to my stock windscreen.

all in all a positive move for me, as for looks, this is the only look I really care about:

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-02-2016 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bigheadted (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:45 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Those Cop seats sure are comfy !! I still have mine but it is on the shelf now waiting to go back on when i get the urge.

I also have and continue to try different parts, it is fun.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:22 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice job on the seat addition. Looks great on there too.

I miss mine. I put one on my 98 Road King. Had the canister mounted behind the left side cover. When I sold the bike, I put the stock seat back on so that I could use it on my next bike. I've got an '06 Road King now. But it appears there are a few differences between it and the earlier version.

I also had/have a couple of different cop seats. One is original. One I had most of the extra padding removed and had it recovered. It is actually more comfy than the padded one to me.

Again...looks great on your bike.

Head

Old 04-02-2016, 11:46 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I rented before I bought my 09 FLHP and could never get comfortable on any of the stock seats. I sat on the cop seat and that closed the deal.

FWIW, if you have an 09 - 13 with the air bladder and ABS, the air canister can be mounted on the right strut:

Many replace with Kong but I have never understood why.

If you don't like the plastic seat pan, get it covered with vinyl to match the seat:

The following users liked this post:
mkguitar (04-19-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

wow cool tips!

mike

Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Cool indeed!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

I had a cop seat on my 07 Road King for a while. Was able to attach a old Mustang back rest on it as well .Best of both worlds .

Old 04-03-2016, 07:51 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had many seats in all my 50 some odd years riding bikes. None have been so comfortable as when the cop seat was on. My glide now, I have moded the seat some what for more comfy. I removed 7/16 off the front tube where the front bolt go thru. That drops the nose of the seat down so there's no gap. Then cut half the rear bumpers off to drop the rear down, and remove the air bladder.

Attached Thumbnails swapped to cop seat-100_1592-copy.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 11:06 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Thanks to a Forum Member, I got a 2011 cop seat complete ( FireTroop91- thanks Ethan!) for my 2009 FLHTC

I have experience with this since I have a pogo on my '53 and my FXRp had a cop seat when i bought it from the CHP- I also learned to ride on servi, combo and solo bikes in the 70's.

As I age, I have had back problems and I like to change stuff around, often buying parts just to try out- some I keep some I pass on.
for instance in this pic you can spot the fairing lowers, EZ-up stand, the glo- saddlebag latches, supertrapps, DH light and some other stuff

on this bike I have used a:
brawler seat ( good for in-town- hard on the hip joints).
09/10 version streetglide seat ( good for 4 to 6 hours, nice positioning, good control.
ultra seat- stock- worked just great for distance

with each swap I changed windscreens to match seated height ( rotozipped stockers).

so now to the cop seat- install is quick and easy, this is the 2011 version with the air tank, which I mounted in the left saddlebag with velcro ( I may swap to a kong or the current shock type).
required really only quick repositioning of the ecm, and removal of the rear gas tank bolts- and my backrest mount.

The past few days have been awesome for ride and control- I have lots of dips and speed bumps in my area at about 230 I have been using about 35 PSI ( with my shock pump).
I have always like an upright position and my knees are now below my hips, good for the joints. My upper body weight is transferred through my abs to the legs and feet- good for the back & pressing down on the floorboard will turn the bike.

other adjustments have included bring my stock bars up a bit, and swap to my stock windscreen.

all in all a positive move for me, as for looks, this is the only look I really care about:

mike
Nice write-up...especially your last sentence...so very true!

Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,403 Likes on 876 Posts

Great choice of seats - now you have a true Harley touring bike! I love mine and the upright seating position it give you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: swapped to cop seat