Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential fix for poor led headlight... And it's FREE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 PM
ShaZAM
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Potential fix for poor led headlight... And it's FREE!!!!

After putting parts back on the bike after the new Handle bars were installed , I made a bit of a mistake. The left spot light was put in upside down. ( the bulb was rotated 180 degree).

So as I was attempting to aim the lights I saw the light pattern on the garage door and noticed the hard cut off of lift was also upside down and now the wash of light was above the light from the headlight.

So I rotated the other bulb to match and took it out for a drive after dark.

HOLY ****!!!! I can see!!!! All those previous dark spots are gone!!

Now, I have not tested this as an oncoming vehicle to see if it is blinding or not. But damm.".. The corners are lit again.....testing it a bit more...

Am I the first to find this or just not up to speed?

The following users liked this post:
MilesOfTexas (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 04:50 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,918 Likes on 8,432 Posts

You need to try some HID lights in that bike. It will make the stock lights seem like parking lights.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaZAM
After putting parts back on the bike after the new Handle bars were installed , I made a bit of a mistake. The left spot light was put in upside down. ( the bulb was rotated 180 degree).

So as I was attempting to aim the lights I saw the light pattern on the garage door and noticed the hard cut off of lift was also upside down and now the wash of light was above the light from the headlight.

Now, I have not tested this as an oncoming vehicle to see if it is blinding or not. But damm.".. The corners are lit again.....testing it a bit more...

I ran just 2 aux led's on my Breakout as a headlight, and found the light pattern was much better, more usable, when they were upside down.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaZAM

Nice find! I may just have to try this!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:03 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I am thinking if I installed my TLP7 LED Spot Lights upside down, I could go coon hunting looking up in the trees while I ride!
Don't think the oncoming traffic would like that very much...

Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I am thinking if I installed my TLP7 LED Spot Lights upside down, I could go coon hunting looking up in the trees while I ride! Don't think the oncoming traffic would like that very much...
Yeah I don't think this particular trick pertains to us TLP7 users. Mine installed and aimed correctly outperforms anything I've seen.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Yeah I don't think this particular trick pertains to us TLP7 users. Mine installed and aimed correctly outperforms anything I've seen.
Righto!
"Correctly Aimed" are the keywords of the day.
That, and the passing light wire mod to keep all 3 lights on low or high beam works quite well for me. At night on winding country roads, I am well pleased with the TLP7's blazing ahead.
A while back on one of those roads, I rode by an old house all by itself, with a big fat old black dog stretched out sleeping in the middle of the road. He raised His head about 1/2" off the center line and gave me a tired sleepy look as I buzzed the 'King right by Him about 4" from the end of His snout at about 60 mph. It bugged me worse than it did Him, He looked ready to hang it all up for good, life had been good for Him, I guess.
Glad I saw Him in time to swerve, I never cared for speed bumps that have ribs and such...

Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Righto!
"Correctly Aimed" are the keywords of the day.
That, and the passing light wire mod to keep all 3 lights on low or high beam works quite well for me. At night on winding country roads, I am well pleased with the TLP7's blazing ahead.
A while back on one of those roads, I rode by an old house all by itself, with a big fat old black dog stretched out sleeping in the middle of the road. He raised His head about 1/2" off the center line and gave me a tired sleepy look as I buzzed the 'King right by Him about 4" from the end of His snout at about 60 mph. It bugged me worse than it did Him, He looked ready to hang it all up for good, life had been good for Him, I guess.
Glad I saw Him in time to swerve, I never cared for speed bumps that have ribs and such...

Gotta love Southern stories. I swear the best story tellers in the world are all Southerners.