Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 CVO limited - help needed!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Miles Webber
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 CVO limited - help needed!

I just purchased the 2016 CVO Limited. Its a lovely bike (I upgraded from a Road King) but I am having major issues with back ache!! I am a big guy, I'm 260Lbs and 5'11 and I just can't get comfortable with the stock seat and bars. The lovely heated seat forces me far too far forward and I had to back the backrest off just to get my bum in the right position - so I know I need a seat that's set back further than stock. But I don't like reaching for the bars, which are also just too low - but apparently there are no bars on the market for the new CVO, so I am desperate for help. My dealer swapped me out to try a road glide seat which was lower and further back - which was good - accept my knees were now too high and the boards far too high.

What are my options? Do I try and find a higher and closer bar that fits all the complicated electrics of a CVO? Do I get a Mustang or Corbin seat with an adjustable back rest that sits lower and further back, and do I get the floor boards dropped?

Welcome all thoughts as this is a sweet machine and I want to ride it in comfort!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

I can't offer any suggestions on what to do, but I can offer an opinion on what NOT to do - do not lower the floorboards. Coming from a RK, the lean angles may not be a problem for you; but coming from a BMW R1200RT, I'm 6K+ miles in and still scrape (though frequency is diminishing).

The following users liked this post:
Miles Webber (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:25 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It took a little re-arranging things to get my RoadGlide Ultra comfortable. I pulled the limit pin out of the handlebar clamp and that allowed me to rotate it up a little more. It felt like it was in my lap before. I rode without the backrest for a while because it pushed me too far forward. I had the seat off one day and noticed that I could both the position of the backrest mount and it's support bracket. I moved it all the way back and changed the position of the support bracket to below the mount which pushed it back another degree or so. After that, I re-installed the backrest and have never taken it back off. I'm 6'3" and probably 250 or so. Get the footpegs set right for you and I think you'll be okay. I initially had mine angled nearly straight out and my feet felt like they were slipping off (they were). I readjusted the right side one day by accident. Heeled over pretty sharp and kissed a curb with it. PERFECT angle now. Need to do the other one to match. If I ever get my bike back.

Miles Webber (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 PM
fastglass
Cruiser

I changed the bars to wild one 578's on mine and extended the floorboards.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Miles Webber
2nd Gear

Fast glass - thanks - but not sure the 2016 CVOs allow you to do this...

Old 05-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I think you are on the right track to fixing your problems. BTW, congrats on the new CVO, they are really nice.

At some point, Harley should provide some kind of easy reach bars for that bike. Have those installed by the Harley shop so all work will be warranted. The Mustang is a good idea. Mine sets me back a couple of inches and higher by about an inch...so a little more leg room.

Agree that lowering the foot boards is likely not a good idea because it will reduce an already challenged cornering clearance...so safety says leave that foot board alone.

If you ride solo most of the time, there should be a nice plush solo seat available with a backrest that is farther back toward the rear of the bike.

nylimited (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles Webber
Fast glass - thanks - but not sure the 2016 CVOs allow you to do this...

YES, you can take out the pin as well.

Congrats!

YB

Old 05-17-2016, 06:08 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,587 Posts

I first sat on my bike ('13 CVO Ultra) as it was being "prepped", I knew that I could NOT ride that bike long distances.

Sure enough, on the first 500 mile round trip ride that I took in on confirmed it!

Fortunately, I got my bike very late in the year so when I took in in for the 1,000 mile service, I had Rinehart XT True duals installed (with a tuner and dyno'ed) and a pair of W.O.'s 577's handlebars installed.
In hindsight, I probably could have been happy with the W.O.'s 578's but I wanted to make sure that I had the rise and reach so I wouldn't have to change them again. Not a cheap option but I'm glad that I did.
(Do a search on the Screaming Eagle thread).

With these bars, the rider backrest, highway pegs and cruise control, the miles just roll on by.

I also installed the floorboard extenders that moves the boards outward about an inch

Old 05-18-2016, 11:37 AM
fastglass
Cruiser

Mine is a 5014 CVO Limited i can;t think of a single reason why you could not do it.I've changed the bars on every bike i have ever owned.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:01 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by fastglass
Mine is a 5014 CVO Limited i can;t think of a single reason why you could not do it.I've changed the bars on every bike i have ever owned.
3,000 years in the future? Have they finally got the BoomAudio system to work correctly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 CVO limited - help needed!