Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gps

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 AM
Mac daddy 103
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Gps

Looking to purchase a Gps unit for the bike, what are you guys using or which one is better??

Old 06-29-2016, 11:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

there are some threads and reviews--- my 2¢ is that my iphone works great- does everything I need it to do and i already own it.

there are a variety of apps if you want to find cheap gas or a campground or a...
there are even apps which will store maps on the unit if you think you will be out of a coverage area

my iphone has worked great for google maps turn by turn in North America, UK and Europe - the maps are updated constantly.
i use T-Mobile which offers internet at no extra charge in most international destinations-

I use a $12 mount or a clear front holster clipped to the fairing pocket bag

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-29-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Depends on where you ride and what you want out of it. Phones are getting more durable and the new samsungs are water resistant. A harley can beat the crap out of bar mounted electronics. A dedicated GPS won't lose coverage in extreme rural area's. I have always used Garmin Zumo's.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is no 'better', simply choice and variety! Living in the UK we get a lot of rain, so a waterproof unit is essential IMHO, which limits choice to a suitable unit. The major players with waterproof bike units are TomTom and Garmin. I've used my TomToms all over Europe as well as in the USA, on the bikes and in our cars. They both take a bit of getting used to, but it is possible to travel far and wide, taking in your chosen places of interest. Be sure to also use a map, for the bigger picture!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:55 AM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Whatever you decide to get, make sure it has life time map renewals so that you can keep it current.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I do have a Garmin Nuvi GPS with lifetime of MAPS. The issue is, there's no audio but I can see where I'm going. For my use, this is sufficient. I can't justify the cost of the Zumo line of GPS.
But for the most part, I use my Samsung Note 5 phone. As mentioned, there are a lot of great Apps out there. I've never run into a problem using my cell phone and I do travel State to State. For the few times that I've been caught in the rain, I'll just pull over and switch to the Garmin GPS. Works for me.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 PM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've always had good luck with Garmin. Living in Texas it's easy to get into areas where cell phone coverage is spotty at best and none existent in others so I tend to just stick with a purpose built GPS for the bike.

As others have pointed out you might just want to try using your cell phone before spending the money on a separate GPS. You may find it's all you need for the riding you do.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:40 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

If you download one of the GPS software packages onto your phone, instead of using Google Maps, you can use the phone when you're out of cell phone coverage.

Very few phones or GPS units are bright enough to be readily seen in the bright sunlight. Though my DeLorme PN-40 can be. But, that's not a unit that will make everyone happy, including me some times.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:46 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Garmin for me as well. I take it out of my car and use it on the bike. I've also been adding the HD dealers along my routes when I travel as a just in case and to get those free Tees.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:00 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Standard Garmin car GPS with a RAM Mount. Phones are fine for local areas that have good cellular coverage but inevitably I'm in an area without service when I need it the most so the GPS on a phone is useless at that point. Plus I like the speedometer on the Garmin; much more accurate than my bike speedo.

Last edited by vistavette; 06-29-2016 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Gps