Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eitms

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Cossack84
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
The EITMS on mine is always disabled. The whole concept seems hokey to me. But to each his own.

There is no magic to it. Rear cylinder doesn't fire = no heat created. I mean its that simple.

Last edited by Cossack84; 07-06-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Cossack84
Tourer

Originally Posted by josame
I left it on when I had my 2011 Road King, I leave it off on my 2016. There is no point for it to come on just because the air temp is 80, if the engine is cool/normal temp.

I don't care for the way it operates on the new bikes. should have left it the way it was on the pre-Rushmore bikes. Anyone know why they added the ambient temp sensor?

Just because you don't understand/care for how it works doesn't mean anything. Its a great function to prevent excess heat buildup. Completely automated with zero malfunctions and always in standby mode ready to save motor from overtemp.
Leave it on and forget about it, let the ones and zeros do all the work.

Anyone know why they added the ambient temp sensor?,
yes its easier to prevent heat from building up then cooling an already hot engine. Yep that simple.

Last edited by Cossack84; 07-06-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

It's kind of a pain to me, but probably not smart to turn it off. If the MOCO thought enough to create a function that does this, it was probably because their testing showed a need for it. I leave mine on, even though for last couple of months, it seems like it comes on everytime I stop moving.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just checked my tune and it shows on at 140 and off at 135C

Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Cossack84
There is no magic to it. Rear cylinder doesn't fire = no heat created. I mean its that simple.
Oh, I understand the concept perfectly. Just don't see the value. Heat doesn't bother me, and I hate the weird single-cylinder idle. I don't care what anyone says, it makes the bike feel less reliable from a standing start. Also part of the Harley sound for me is a good idle "rumble" ... Not a single-cylinder limp.

Also, if the ever wise MOCO thought that this "feature" was so important, I doubt that it would be a user-selectable setting. It would just be... no turning it off allowed.

All that really matters is: My bike, my preference

Old 07-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I leave mine on.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:48 PM
Cossack84
Tourer

Originally Posted by rv7garage
Oh, I understand the concept perfectly. Just don't see the value. Heat doesn't bother me, and I hate the weird single-cylinder idle. I don't care what anyone says, it makes the bike feel less reliable from a standing start. Also part of the Harley sound for me is a good idle "rumble" ... Not a single-cylinder limp.

Also, if the ever wise MOCO thought that this "feature" was so important, I doubt that it would be a user-selectable setting. It would just be... no turning it off allowed.

All that really matters is: My bike, my preference
Well there you go letting feeling get in the way of commons sense. Bike is perfectly fine sitting there pumping air with one cylinder. EITMS has no effect on standing start, who ever did the programing from factory did an amazing job. Superb response to throttle or clutch release. Rear cylinder fires up in no time at all.
And the reason it's user selective is because of guys who let feelings get in the way of common sense. Harley doesn't want bunch of whiny babies at the service desk. I mean they let you turn it off and that is still not enough. Some find a reason to complain about it too.
You are 100% correct, your bike do as you wish, but the second you tell someone EITMS is garbage or not needed is when you create a problem for any dumb dumb who wants to listen. They fry their motor and go run to the forum bitching about Harley this and Harley that.

Eddit: I completely understand why you do not want it on man. But you cant tell people not to use it based on how you feel, because all the reason you provided are invalid. Bike's engine only benefits from EITMS.

Last edited by Cossack84; 07-06-2016 at 11:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, that's why there's a bunch of whiny babies in Harley's Law Offices right now....

Old 07-07-2016, 06:12 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

turned mine off in the first week i purchased my bike. its pretty silly imo. the fact that u can turn it off so easily tells me a whole lot. ive sat in 100 degree heat and never damaged my engine. just make sure youve got good oil in the crank. hate the way it runs when it would kick on.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Well mine has been on since I got the bike, I was under the impression that the whole purpose on EITMS was for ride comfort and that the engines will be just fine if it is disabled.

That being said, heat is the enemy and if you are shutting off the rear cylinder to reduce heat that`s gotta be better for the motor! It just has to be!

I will admit that it is definitely somewhat `Hokey` and I don`t much care for what the bike sounds like when it`s active, however it absolutely makes a difference I can feel when I`m sitting on the bike. There is a noticeable difference with how much heat I feel on my legs.

I have noticed a slight hesitation when taking off and the system deactivates, in fact I actually thought the bike was going to stall one time but it didn't.

I had an 09 SG for 6 years and I think I could count on one hand the amount of times the EITMS activated on that bike, it took a lot to make it come on. I recall it being stupid hot, oil pressure was almost 0 and oil temp was really high like near 300ºF

Like I said, heat is the enemy, reducing heat buildup has got to be better than not.

Quick Reply: Eitms