Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide fairing thrust angle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:47 AM
SCQTT
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Road Glide fairing thrust angle?

While riding straight down the highway my 16 RGs fairing seems a little pointed to the left and sort of twisted. Not certain why. Sort of like driving behind an out-of-alignment car that you see "crabbing" down the road. Am I imagining this? Is there index marks to make sure the fairing is pointed straight ahead? Is the fairing fully factory installed or is it partially set up as it comes out of the crate.

Sort or weird. Like to know if this is common and a problem or in my head. Bike has NEVER taken a "nap".

Old 07-13-2016, 06:57 AM
patrick74
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My 15 Road Glide CVO points a little to the right. Also wondering now. Thought it was just my crooked Head

Old 07-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Prairie Shark
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My 15 RG CVO points left. The dealer has tried to fix it 3 times and failed so I decided to have a look myself. The fairing is bolted to a plate which is welded to the frame and I figure the plate was welded on crooked at the factory. The only way to fix it is to shim the fairing on one side. Very poor quality control IMO.

Last edited by Prairie Shark; 07-13-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 AM
SCQTT
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for your feedback.

Hmmm, interesting. Guess I'll get use to it.

Crap.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm SO F'ING glad to hear this. I had my 2011 RGU for 4.5 years and I always thought the same thing but no one believed me. Every mechanic I asked to look at it swore they couldn't see what I was talking about.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

There are other threads on this. This is a fairly common problem on Street Glides also. QC issue? Sure. Just many things churned out by the MoCo. I made my problem worse when I installed the HD speaker trims. They showed me how far off it is. I have adjusted mine twice and it still isn't right. I think only the **** retentive people notice or care enough to try and fix it..... I guess I am that way sometimes.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:26 AM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A while back a friend complained of the same thing. We measured from the back of each side of the fairing to the seat screw and there was almost a one inch difference...

Old 07-13-2016, 11:48 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Could the headlights be turned a little bit to make it less noticeable?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 527 Likes on 364 Posts

You cant always expect perfection when bikes are mass produced and there are literally thousands of bikes just like YOURS.

Not sure if you can really do anything about it. Complaining might help but the result will be the same

Old 07-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Prairie Shark
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Could the headlights be turned a little bit to make it less noticeable?
Not on a Road Glide and that is my issue. As "particular" as I am about my stuff I could live with this except the headlight is pointed to the left and any time I'm riding at night it really pisses me off. I would say it is even a safety issue as my headlight is pointing into oncoming traffic an not illuminating the right side of the road where all the critters are lurking.

Accepting this just because the bike is massed produced is pure crap. It's poor construction technique and poor quality control plain and simple. There is no excuse.

Quick Reply: Road Glide fairing thrust angle?