Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery/s

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:51 AM
zyban
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/s

I have had to replace My second Battery today in less than 18 months, My bike is a 2007 Ultra, Both have Been Genuine Batteries.

I use a battery tender and it is plugged in all the time, When I ride it is charging, I can start from a hot or cold start, It is only after a few days of not being on the tender it will not start and the Battery will not charge when put on an external charger.

Is having it continually on a battery tender killing the battery.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:13 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm sure your battery tender will charge and then go into a maintenance mode so it's not your charger. You have something else going on that is draining your battery.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:20 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by zyban
I have had to replace My second Battery today in less than 18 months, My bike is a 2007 Ultra, Both have Been Genuine Batteries.

I use a battery tender and it is plugged in all the time, When I ride it is charging, I can start from a hot or cold start, It is only after a few days of not being on the tender it will not start and the Battery will not charge when put on an external charger.

A battery will/should retain a charge for several months. It is not necessary to keep it on any type of tender during the riding season if you're running the machine regularly. A tender will definitely not damage your battery providing it is cycling 'on demand' properly. The problem usually occurs with the pig-tail used to connect the tender.

If the battery won't take a charge then it is definitely toast. I've known riders to routinely get 5-6 years (and more) out of a battery.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:23 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

zyban i had same problem as you , i got a new tender and pigtail and that has helped so far

Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by zyban

Stop using those batteries, I had similar issues on my two bikes. replaced them with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Stop using those batteries, I had similar issues on my two bikes. replaced them with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
==============================================

FYI,Phatperf online has same yuasa GYZ32HL 500CCA maint free fact act AGM battery for approx $14 cheaper / $132 inc s&H to your door.

This is one of the if not the best bang for your buck battery avail today for our bikes thats got more CCA's and proven reliability too.

See link below.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...arch.y=13&mfg=

Same goes for the Deka / BigCrank hi quality 400cca maint free agm battery for $97.99 to your door,see link below for details.

Scott

http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...y-p/etx30l.htm

Last edited by wscott; 09-07-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I always put a new battery on my tender before the first use. JR

Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 6530mask
A battery will/should retain a charge for several months. It is not necessary to keep it on any type of tender during the riding season if you're running the machine regularly. A tender will definitely not damage your battery providing it is cycling 'on demand' properly. The problem usually occurs with the pig-tail used to connect the tender.

If the battery won't take a charge then it is definitely toast. I've known riders to routinely get 5-6 years (and more) out of a battery.
===========================================

" The problem usually occurs with the pig-tail used to connect the tender."

BINGO!

Issue with pigtail connector is the round/female parts of the connectore almost always ends up with a bad/loose connection on male/spade terminal due to the femail part expanding over time/use.

Thats when guys buy new connector thats not needed,all i do is every so often using a pair of plyers over the female connecter lightly squeezing it to slightly narrow down the female/hole opening so it once again grips the male spade tighter for a good connection.

Scott

Old 09-07-2016, 02:45 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
==============================================

FYI,Phatperf online has same yuasa GYZ32HL 500CCA maint free fact act AGM battery for approx $14 cheaper / $132 inc s&H to your door.
IThis is one of the if not the best bang for your buck battery avail today for our bikes thats got more CCA's and proven reliability too.

See link below.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...arch.y=13&mfg=

Same goes for the Deka / BigCrank hi quality 400cca maint free agm battery for $97.99 to your door,see link below for details.

Scott

http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...y-p/etx30l.htm
If you look at the link I posted they have them for $136. I live in California so I would have to pay sales tax, which is roughly ten bucks. Phat Performance is in California.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:00 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
If you look at the link I posted they have them for $136. I live in California so I would have to pay sales tax, which is roughly ten bucks. Phat Performance is in California.
=============================

I opened your link & this is what it showed;

Yuasa GYZ32HL Battery
Price: $146.37 & FREE Shipping. Details
In Stock.
Want it Friday, Sept. 9? Order within 4 hrs 2 mins and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Yuasa Gyz32Hl Battery

Then further down i now see it shows them cheaper but still not as cheap as phatperf @ $132 inc S&H for yuasa's GYZ32HL like i stated in my prior post.

I am just trying to pass along best prices i found on 2 very good high quality long lasting maint free fact act AGM batteries in case he wants to buy 1 of them @ good price like i did getting the yuasa 500cca gyz32hl from phatperf for my 09 HD.

Happy motoring.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 09-07-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery/s