Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pack luggage rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:22 PM
jkcone
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour pack luggage rack

I have an 07 Ultra Classic and I want to install the deluxe luggage rack onmy tour pack, but I am concerned as to what type of drill bit to use. Does anyone have a suggestion on a specific type of bit to use??

Old 05-26-2007, 11:45 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tour pack luggage rack

I always use a standard high-speed steel bit. Drill a pilot hole first if you're nervous about it. Oh - and make sure the TP is empty....<G>

Old 05-27-2007, 12:05 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

directions are pretty good. use masking take to trace around the mounting legs on the rack, and then like Texas Redneck said, use a small bit to drill a starter hole, then drill to size.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:06 AM
stu07hd
Tourer

I used my regular bits, but puta piece of low adhesive painters masking tape where I was drilling and did not have any problems. I was a bit nervous about drilling on my new Ultra also so I feel your pain. I did drill one hole at a time and test fit the rack after each hole. I marked the holes with a sharpie on the tape and did not have any problems even though I was sweating the whole time. Good Luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:55 PM
rdking330
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure twice and drill once, make sure that there is nothing on the other side that you might drill in to.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

standard high speed steel and masking tape. Use the template provided to get your centered distance fore & aft, left to right is easy. After the first whole re-check everything then continue. One additional thing I did was swapped out the hex head bolts for rounded head or carriage bolt styled phillips heads with no catch edges. Loctite everything.

Arvid

Old 05-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As already mentioned use a brand new bit and put masking tape on the lid where you will be drillingthe hole (drill through the masking tape) to prevent the paint from chipping.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM
redneckremi
Cruiser

I too was looking for this advice...thanks for sharing...again this forum is dead on with advice. Remi

Old 05-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As everyone stated above, masking tape(or blue painter's tape) on pack, make marks where rack should be mounted, eyeball it 2 - 3 times, measure 2 - 3 times and drill once. I didn't use a pilot hole. And since you're drilling a 2007, it is plastic instead of fiberglass. It won't do that splintering thing as drill bit goes all the way through.

Also, right before tightening the bolts all the way, I put a small bead of silicone caulk between washed and bolt, tightened it down, and put another small bead on over that. Smoothed it with my finger and was done.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
tkjones2
Banned

another method i have used with luck in the past is to put the rack on about where you want it and check measurment then lift the rack and put a small dab of white nail polish or white out on the legs then gentle set the rack back down marking the top for drilling, not gonna ganentee this works for eveyone but it has for me and just drill slow and steady

Quick Reply: Tour pack luggage rack