Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP through CVO mufflers ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Pascal1340
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much HP through CVO mufflers ?

Hi, didn't visit you for a while, sorry for that !
I bought a 2013 Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra FLHTK 103 CI, stock.
Quickly, it got a stage 1, and then a CVO header with the cat removed, and "Law abiding" Akrapovic exhaust. I live in a country where the sound of the motorbikes is strictly enforced.
Last month I got a Harley Screamin Eagle stage IV (OEM parts 92500011) and the flow seems too strong for the Akrapovic, that don't sound good anymore.
I had the idea to buy a pair of CVO mufflers, that you can find on Ebay. The idea was that the CVO is 110 CI, has a stage 1 air cleaner and SE 256 cams if my informations are correct. That seems pretty close to my stage IV.
I am now busy to make the map with the Dynojet Power vision and I find the CVO mufflers sound exactly as I want, nice but not too loud.
The question is : is the airflow big enough to fit the stage IV ?
Looking for your experience !! Thanks.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Since you have them,use them.Definitely better than the Akrapovic cans you took off. One good thing about the CVO cans is that you can change the baffles easily.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:34 AM
Pascal1340
Advanced

Thanks, they sure look heavier and sound better. I will refine the mapping when the Swiss weather will allow riding (snow, cold and roads with salt) and see exactly how it performs and how it sounds.

Did any guys here have tried to upgrade a CVO with the stock CVO mufflers ? Any example of Dyno chart ?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:23 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Pascal1340
Hi, didn't visit you for a while, sorry for that !
I bought a 2013 Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra FLHTK 103 CI, stock.
Quickly, it got a stage 1, and then a CVO header with the cat removed, and "Law abiding" Akrapovic exhaust. I live in a country where the sound of the motorbikes is strictly enforced.
Last month I got a Harley Screamin Eagle stage IV (OEM parts 92500011) and the flow seems too strong for the Akrapovic, that don't sound good anymore.
I had the idea to buy a pair of CVO mufflers, that you can find on Ebay. The idea was that the CVO is 110 CI, has a stage 1 air cleaner and SE 256 cams if my informations are correct. That seems pretty close to my stage IV.
I am now busy to make the map with the Dynojet Power vision and I find the CVO mufflers sound exactly as I want, nice but not too loud.
The question is : is the airflow big enough to fit the stage IV ?
Looking for your experience !! Thanks.
Air flow with CVO mufflers is good for a 103 with Stage 1, like I have.
If you want to use the CVO mufflers contact Fullsack for different baffles, they can probably advise you which one you need. Your CVO's are going to get loud.
http://fullsac.com/product/2006-2017-cvo-power-core/

Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 AM
Pascal1340
Advanced

Attention, I dont want to be loud ! That's why I would like to try the CVO mufflers as they are, but i am not sure that they will allow the flow, the pressure of the stage IV

Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

if you want to control noise and have good flow- look at supertrapp supermegs or the similar screaming eagle fatshots ( NOT nightsticks).

these can do everything you want.

the exhaust gases can exit through "W" shaped passages between each disk and the next disk- so the more disks, the more flow you allow.

the sound waves are controlled by the packing on the outside of a perforated baffle ( the nightstick does not have this), and further broken up by the passages, which have varying widths and lengths when seen in profile.

Supertrapps have been used for many years and are always at or near the top of power comparisons....most of the flat track XR750's used them for racing.

on this page you will see the megashots made for stage IV large displacement motors- farther down the page you will see certifications for noise levels with various products in differing configurations

http://supertrapp.com/new_products/index.asp

as for the CVO mufflers- I would guess that they are made to support an 80 HP motor.

The 2014 screaming eagle catalog ( pg 32) has dyno charts for stock vs their "stage" kits- the 2014 catalog shows a 110" stage 1 motor at a whopping 79 or so HP.

page 31 shows about 102 HP for your 92500011 kit

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-31-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:11 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

The stock CVO muffs will easily support a 103" engine. If you want a little more and still remain soft on the noise add a set of 1 3/4 " Fullsac baffles.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:53 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

he is from Europe and their sounds are pretty strictly enforced and need to be compliant with TUV approved or stock stuff if I am not mistaken

Old 12-31-2016, 06:42 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
The stock CVO muffs will easily support a 103" engine. If you want a little more and still remain soft on the noise add a set of 1 3/4 " Fullsac baffles.
This is good advice. I run 2016 CVO take off cans on My RK, decatted, VO2 Stage 1, external breathers and Fp3. Nice mellow deep tone at idle, sounds like a small block Chevy with duals and glasspack on hard accel. My seat dyno says plenty of flow and feels better on accell then when I had the 2.5" baffled 4" RCX's. I like the quiet version and very happy with the performance.
As Nytryder posted, the Fullsac baffles are a good/cheap mod you can do yourself, but I would do the 2" baffle.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:11 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
This is good advice. I run 2016 CVO take off cans on My RK, decatted, VO2 Stage 1, external breathers and Fp3. Nice mellow deep tone at idle, sounds like a small block Chevy with duals and glasspack on hard accel. My seat dyno says plenty of flow and feels better on accell then when I had the 2.5" baffled 4" RCX's. I like the quiet version and very happy with the performance.
As Nytryder posted, the Fullsac baffles are a good/cheap mod you can do yourself, but I would do the 2" baffle.
I too like the 2" baffles, that is what I am currently running. I suggested the 1 3/4" baffle because of the noise problem. The Fullsac baffles are tuned to make a little more HP and TQ than the stock muffs.

Quick Reply: How much HP through CVO mufflers ?