Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another primary drive question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:09 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Another primary drive question

After I had replaced a torn up rotor and replaced the stator, I'm still hearing rattling noises(like marbles rattling)coming from the primary drive. What I can't seem to figure out, is it the rotor that is making noise, the compensator and sprocket or the clutch basket? The noise seems to get louder as the bike warms up and when I pull in the clutch, the noise seems to get quieter unless I rev the bike up and then I still hear rattling. The chain tensioner seems to be working properly(it's an automatic ratcheting type - stock) and the primary chain is tight.

I'm not exactly sure where to even begin. I also don't know how to test the individual components such as the compensator. Will it harm any of the components(rotor, primary drive sprocket, clutch assembly) if I pull the outer case off and run it dry?

I guess at this point, I'm just looking for advice.

I'll try and post up a video after work one of these nights.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ElectraJim; 02-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:17 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Yeah, that won't hurt it. You will have oil about everywhere though.

Wear safety glasses and keep your fingers and toes away from everything.

The following users liked this post:
ElectraJim (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

The Clutch basket bearing is turning when the clutch is disengaged. So I wouldn't think your noise was coming from that. The inner primary bearing would be turning with the clutch engaged. That could be a source of noise. I suspect your compensator is the source of your noise. I have had one go bad but my hearing is not so good so I'm not much help there. The wear was very clear to see on the ramps of the compensator once I had it off to upgrade the alternator. I believe the (marbles rattling) is the most common sound most report when this part is on the way out. Good luck with your diagnosis and repair.

ElectraJim (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:26 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lp
Yeah, that won't hurt it. You will have oil about everywhere though.

Wear safety glasses and keep your fingers and toes away from everything.
Thanks for the advice. I just don't know how to test the individual components. I mean, how can I tell if it's the compensator rattling, vs. the stator or if the clutch basket assembly is making noise?

I know I've read that the '07s had a lot of compensator sprocket problems. I guess my question boils down too, I can I determine which item is actually making all the rattling noises?

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
The Clutch basket bearing is turning when the clutch is disengaged. So I wouldn't think your noise was coming from that. The inner primary bearing would be turning with the clutch engaged. That could be a source of noise. I suspect your compensator is the source of your noise. I have had one go bad but my hearing is not so good so I'm not much help there. The wear was very clear to see on the ramps of the compensator once I had it off to upgrade the alternator. I believe the (marbles rattling) is the most common sound most report when this part is on the way out. Good luck with your diagnosis and repair.
Thank you for the post! I've suspected the compensator all along, but when I did have the primary case torn apart, I didn't know what to look for as far as damage to the compensator. I have been kicking around replacing it with a Baker unit, but I'm also thinking about selling the bike and I don't want to dump a ton of money into it. I asked at a HD dealership and from what they've told me, they can't get the stock part any more. I wonder if Ronnie's would have it? Hmmm... might have to go investigate.

Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited by ElectraJim; 02-13-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:45 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

If you need to upgrade to the SE comp, you will need that kit, around $250 and a new rotor because the spring pack for the SE comp won't work with the old rotor. The outer primary gasket runs around $40. If you don't do it yourself, add in labor, could approach a grand. Ronnies prices may be a bit better than those I listed. Pull the big fuse or disconnect the battery and you shouldn't have any sudden movements that could amputate fingers.

ElectraJim (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 05:58 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

If you're gonna open her up, I'd say focus on the compensator. A couple years ago I had similar sounds to what you're describing and that was the source.

ElectraJim (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 AM
Baileybut
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same noise as you have. Found it to be the compensator bolt. At first I found the bolt to be just about holding the hub together. Re tightening the bolt per the service manual still had the noise. So apart it came again. After looking on the internet and talking to he local Harly shop I found the bolt needed to be replaced. From all the moving around on the shaft the treads were out of round causing the bolt not to hold the hub correctly. Replaced the bolt and set it to 160lbs and the noise was gone.

ElectraJim (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 AM
jmaniace
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Comp and Trans work this year

I just went through this on my '07 with 50K miles on it. Start with the comp do the SE or go Baker You will need a new rotor.Either way I would take out the auto tensioner.

While doing my comp I did notice a mark on the back of my primary where the teeth from my clutch gear had hit it. It wasn't a big mark but I did notice it.

Then shortly after that I got my 12" bars installed and while getting that done my Indy found the main shaft bearing from my trans mission was shot and had to get it rebuilt.

I hope the video loads because it shows how much play was in the bearing. He called it the 6th gear bearing.

Attached Thumbnails Another primary drive question-imag0142.jpg   Another primary drive question-imag0144.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I really appreciate it.

Like I stated in my original post, I had the primary drive apart to replace a rotor that had completely shredded. Along with that, I replaced the stator also. I took everything apart and reassembled per the FSM. I used red loctite on the bolt that holds the compensator in place and did tighten to spec(tightened to about 140ft lbs, backed it off and retightened to 160.

Guess I'm in for a little bit of work again this weekend. Looks like I'm going to order the Baker unit even though it's not exactly in my budget but oh well. If I commit to it, I'm not going to sell the bike considering it only has 41K on ODO.

Thanks again guys!

Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Just pulled the trigger on a Baker compensator and rotor. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me when it arrives!