Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise on the primary side

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 PM
2008GLIDE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise on the primary side

I have a 2008 street glide. On the primary side I hear A wineing noise. It is not the inner primary bearing. Not the clutch. The chain and sprockets look fine. Any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 PM
2008GLIDE
Tourer

Picture

Attached Thumbnails Noise on the primary side-image.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chain too tight?

Curious as to how you ruled out the IPB and clutch bearing?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 PM
karbar99
Club Member

I have and have had the same for some time. I would considering mine a whirling sound though. Last year I had my Indy open things up. He found the clutch splines to be chewed and some pieces missing. At that time he replaced the IPB along with the clutch hub housing & bearing, still the whirling sound.
Another noise I had was when I shut it down and still have is I would get the knocking back and forth sound caused by the compensator I've been reading.
A few years back I installed the latest, at the time, compensator. I'm getting ready to open it up again myself and replace the compensator with the latest and throw in a new chain.
Maybe with this install the whirling and comp knock at shut down will disappear??

Old 07-11-2014, 05:31 AM
2008GLIDE
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2-Piece
Chain too tight?

Curious as to how you ruled out the IPB and clutch bearing?

Mechanic said chain was good. Mechanic said if th ipb was bad it would be leaking some oil between the primary/motor.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 AM
2008GLIDE
Tourer

Originally Posted by karbar99
I have and have had the same for some time. I would considering mine a whirling sound though. Last year I had my Indy open things up. He found the clutch splines to be chewed and some pieces missing. At that time he replaced the IPB along with the clutch hub housing & bearing, still the whirling sound.
Another noise I had was when I shut it down and still have is I would get the knocking back and forth sound caused by the compensator I've been reading.
A few years back I installed the latest, at the time, compensator. I'm getting ready to open it up again myself and replace the compensator with the latest and throw in a new chain.
Maybe with this install the whirling and comp knock at shut down will disappear??

Does yours stop with the clutch ingaged? When I squeeze my clutch mine will stop......

Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,333 Likes on 3,273 Posts

If i am not mistaken, the IPB can be bad and not leak right? I was under the impression that it was the seal that actually caused the leak after a while because the bearing moved abnormally...I may be wrong....I also thought the way to check the IPB was to take the load off the chain and see if the clutch basket had movement in it....I have a whinning noise in my primary but i know what it is, it's my Hayben chain tensioner....

Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Chain looks mighty tight to me. Ratchet down that stock tensioner and see if that quietens that primary a tad. Also, the primary fluid you use can affect the wirling sound.

I've used three different types of primary chain tensioners: Stock, Hayden, and Baker. That primary chain is going to make a little racket, it just does. To expect this motor to sound quite will drive you crazy. Sounds like you have nothing serious wrong. Button it up and ride it.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 AM
pjciii
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would change mechanics! period. the inner primary bearing can go out with no leak. it will start throwing pieces of metal down into the transmission and you have to replace everything, if the noise goes away when the clutch is engaged then the IPB IS the likely cause. you are on borrowed time now.
patrick

Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by pjciii
I would change mechanics! period. the inner primary bearing can go out with no leak. it will start throwing pieces of metal down into the transmission and you have to replace everything, if the noise goes away when the clutch is engaged then the IPB IS the likely cause. you are on borrowed time now.
patrick
This is about right and good advice. Couple things though.
If the IPB goes out you will hear a whirring noise but it will go away when you pull in the clutch.
Also if the IPB does goes out, it drops metal frag into the primary, not the transmission, and thankfully everything does not need to be replaced, just cleaned and inspected.

I've replaced two. Not hard but time consuming and you need to have a few of the right tools to do it easily.

lp

Quick Reply: Noise on the primary side