Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHP passenger backrest - my way

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default FLHP passenger backrest - my way

Well, it was finally time for me to start taking my son on rides (he did great, BTW). I had already put on passenger footboards, and the Mustang passenger seat for cop bikes. But I was a bit stumped about a sissybar / backrest.

Of course, I could have just taken off the FLHP rack, and bought docking hardware and a backrest. But HD or knock-off, it was expensive, required me to loose the rack - which holds the license plate, and it's not really how I wanted my bike to look.

After some searching, I found this: http://bddcustom.com/products/universal-backrest

While pricey as well, it solved my problems (cheaper from J&P). I had to drill 4 holes in the rack, but that did not bother me. I used stainless button heads with lock nuts. I may pop off the rack this winter and have nuts welded to the underside. I could have tapped and threaded the holes in the rack, but I'm pretty sure that would not be strong enough.

It does not look awesome, I know, but I'm happy with it, and that I can still use my rack. I like the lower profile of the seat. Not great for a long ride, I'd guess compared to the P&A backrest, but it will keep my son from sliding off.

4 bolts, and I'm back to stock, so I like that too.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:09 PM
cc_Penguin
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nicely done sir.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job, and creativity. I like it.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice. If you cut a groove the width of the piece of steel that the pad mounts to, could you get the backrest bracket under the plate that is on the tourpak rack?

Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidRik_Von
Very nice. If you cut a groove the width of the piece of steel that the pad mounts to, could you get the backrest bracket under the plate that is on the tourpak rack?
I'm almost certain I could. I thought about it. For now, I wanted to ride, and not get wrapped up in a project. But, since the bottom of the rack is not uniform and flat, it my not work out well, as it could have less points of contact - with the slots in it for adjustability, its friction that keeps it in its exact place. Also, it could make the backrest crooked front to back, based on the contour of the bottom of the rack. Lastly, it would lower the backrest a bit, and its pretty short as it is.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Way to be creative and get the job done!! Pooch looks to be wondering why his is taking so long to get completed......

Old 05-01-2017, 07:33 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

How much you want for the dog?
Oh, and good job on the back rest...