Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service and warranty concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:25 AM
gunnerbob59
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service and warranty concern

Will i void any warranty with harley if i choose to do the first 1000 mile servicing, and all future oil changes?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:32 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

No.
Keep receipts and records.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Keep all your receipts and logs.
They cannot refuse warranty work because of basic service and oil changes done by the owner.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

No,but if there needs to be a judgement call or something on the borderline of the warranty,don't expect any favours.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:01 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Purchase the service manual, and use the maintenance chart as a guide. If you do come upon a procedure, like ABS brake bleed, that you can't easily do, then have the dealer do it for you.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Wmbailey5
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Know you limits

I am on third Harley. I did oil+filter at 500 miles and had the dealer do the 1,000 mile service. Not so much about oil+filter but all the misc. checks they do, but more importantly, the service alerts, recalls etc. that may not be known thru public sources. Peace of mind for $400.

After that invest in the service manual, torque wrench, some tools and being confident in knowing your limits. I am selective on what I do and balance my time, required effort and capabilities before taking on a major project.

I had the dealer put in new front chrome lowers and Legend AXEO springs on my 13 RKC. $450 in labor. For me that fours I can be doing something else more valuable.

Bottom line is someone will **** on me for not doing my front end but I do what I want when I want and keep myself out of trouble instead of making trips back and forth from the dealer for tools and parts I forgot. You get the point. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
bill from tn (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:49 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

I do all oil changes, air filter, coolant, etc. on all of our cars and my road glide. All were purchased new.

This is what I do. I keep receipts for oil, filters, etc. I always use the manufacturers filters, I buy them thru the Internet or at the dealer. I use the manufactures recommended oil, in my twin cam I use Syn3.
And I do this extra step.

While changing any of the above I snap pictures along the way of each of these events with my phone, sometimes 30 or 40 pics, to document that it happened when I said it did. Load those to a computer, back them up somewhere, thumb drive, cloud, whatever makes you comfortable. I also record the service in a log book.
Smart phones time and date stamp the date on pictures. Those need to match your log book entries.

I have never had to fall back on this for engine work so don't know if it works or not. But with the pics, receipts, and log, it would be hard for a dealer or factory rep to say you didn't do what you said you did.

If denied a claim, I would use this argument. Show me video and pictures of oil changes you do for other customers so I know you did them. His argument would be the tech signed off and that's good enough. I think my picture record is better.

I let the dealer do my 1,000 mile service for reasons mentioned in an earlier post.

To be honest I wouldn't have a problem letting my dealers service do service for me. But the cost is ridiculous and I prefer to do it myself.

On our cars, I have heard too many horror stories of incompetent employees botching a simple oil change. Forgetting to replace oil, filters leaking, etc.
I just do not trust them to do it correctly every time, and it has to be done right every time.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:11 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

many pay the dealer to do the first service (I did/do), then after that handle it oneself.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:37 PM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

After watching my dealer do my first service on my 14 which was basically change 3 holes feel the belt take it for a ride and wash it. I decided I could do a more thorough job on my 17. I print out the pages of the service manual maintanace list and I go right through it making note of any things out of spec and keep all that in a 3 ring binder.