Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change my cams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:46 PM
sirgarreth
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I change my cams? **UPDATE**

Bike is a 2008 Road King Anniversary. When I purchased the bike new, I had the Stage 1 kit installed, also had the engine upgraded to the 103" with the SE 255 cams.
Now for the problem:
I am now on my 4th starter clutch about to change to the 5th. They should have installed or asked at least about installing the ACR's. Did not know anything back then. Now I somewhat do.
I have a couple options I am thinking about doing.

1. Remove heads and have them drilled out and manual releases installed (~$800 quoted by shop)
2. Change cams to the S&S Easy start. (~$900, cams, HV oil pump, gaskets, push rods, tapets, being installed by me)

Now, the kicker, When the engine gets opened up, I could have issues. Bike has 102,000 miles.
Runs good, but somehwat high mileage for cam change. I will be removing the SERT and installing something else.
Was looking at Fuelmoto and their 107 kit, but I am 2000 miles away.
What should I do? Please don't say "Get a new bike".

Last edited by sirgarreth; 05-18-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Rebuild engine and easy start cams
than you will have engine you can run for a long time

Old 05-01-2017, 01:39 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If ya don't want a new bike, throw some easy start cams in it, get it tuned and run it. Hope the top end was done right... good luck!

Old 05-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

I have issues with the jackshaft too, broke the gear twice. Some more reading, in case you're interested.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1171553-compression-release-or-easy-start-cams.html

Old 05-01-2017, 02:16 PM
sirgarreth
Advanced

As of now, I have not had any issues other than the hot starts.
Just got off the phone witha tech at S&S. He recommended the MR103 easy start cams, but told me to look into changing the compensator to the Baker Compensator and says that is probably my problem. Got to look into that now.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:30 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

JMHO;
It's a bit of a tough call,,, putting $1k into an Engine with 108k miles on it,,, Oil Consumption, Compression Test, Crank Run-out are considerations?? as to how far you want to go?? as to "while we're in there..." a "slippery slope" to the amount of $$$$ ended up $pending... Where does it $top?? A lot of us have been there LOL
At some point a Crate Motor becomes a co$t effective alternative...

Since you seem to like your setup (>100k miles, only issue stated is the hot start) I would go with the Compression Releases ('have the Manual CRs in the '01 no big deal)... Staying with your set-up will alleviate any potential Tuning, push rod, etc... issues...
Down the road when a "refurb" becomes necessary you will have more flexibility...
Continue to enjoy your Bike without creating any new "problems" to solve...

The MCR Co$t seems a little steep, is the $800 turnkey?? Have you shopped around??

Is there any particular reason for the HV oil pump??

There are mixed reviews on the Baker Compensator,,, I stayed with the latest SE in the '09... If the SE Kit requires the new Rotor, you can just have your's trimmed and $ave...

While a 107 Kit might sound like fun,,, Beware!! It could open up a huge can of worms for someone that rides as much as you do,,, And the supporting Mods (on an Engine like yours) can really add up... (see Crate Motor above LOL)

I've always liked the "Duracells"... One of my favorite colors...

Keep us Posted...

Old 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Do as little as possible to solve your issue unless you want to spring for a rebuild. Which will be here sooner than later.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

At 92000 I decided to buy a low mileage 103 HO...glad I did.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:07 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
Do as little as possible to solve your issue unless you want to spring for a rebuild. Which will be here sooner than later.
'Gotta laugh at myself,,, The gist of my previous Post...

Old 05-01-2017, 07:08 PM
sirgarreth
Advanced

Flaheatwave, yeah I was quoted $800 for the mcr's.
Th HV oil pump was mainly since it was going to be out, put a new one in.
Now though, I am wondering if if is the compensator. Spoke to a stealer here and they said they new SE compensator does not work on my bike. He said I am unable to upgrade to the SE comp. Does not seem right. Need to speak to another shop. Hard to find good shop here in MIA. Taking bike to shop tomorrow and talk to them and see what they say.

Quick Reply: Should I change my cams?