Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Road King Classic installing Burly Beach Bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM
lopezluna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 08 Road King Classic installing Burly Beach Bars

Here's my 08 road king classic with stock bars
Hi everyone. I am fairly new to this site and decided to replace my stock bars with some Burly Beach Bars. I will be wiring them internally and also going to re-install my H.D heated grips also with the wiring inside the bars. I will be attaching pictures that may help others with this year and model bike. This will be my first thread and hope i am doing it right. Lopezluna

Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by lopezluna

Here's my 08 road king classic with stock bars
Hi everyone. I am fairly new to this site and decided to replace my stock bars with some Burly Beach Bars. I will be wiring them internally and also going to re-install my H.D heated grips also with the wiring inside the bars. I will be attaching pictures that may help others with this year and model bike. This will be my first thread and hope i am doing it right. Lopezluna
Not that difficult, take your time, have service manual ready, take pics, and definitely get and use wire lubricant for pulling your wires, makes life nice and easy. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM
lopezluna
Novice

Thanks for the advice and motivation nutsandbolts5212.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 AM
lopezluna
Novice

Here are some pictures of the teardown process to remove my handlebars. Hopefully these pix will help someone to remove their bars or just adjust them. Make sure you cover and protect all your painted surfaces and chrome. Make sure to remove the 50 amp fuse that is on the left side cover before you go any further.

Remove fuse

Remove headlight trim

Remove headlight assembly

Headlight assembly removed

Remove lock cover with a small flathead screwdriver. There's a slot you can insert the screwdriver and pri to pop the cap off

Remove two phillips screws

Remove the nut inside that secures the spear on to the nacelle and remove the spear

Notice the end of the spear has a hook

Remove the nut and washer. (Top center )

Now remove the cap covering the handlebar clamp.

Now your handlebar clamp is exposed. If all you need is to adjust your handlebars this is it. Just loosen the bolts with a 1/4 inch allen wrench.

Remove one bolt and one nut from both sides. These hold your brackets for your passing lights.

Make sure not to loose the rubber grommets used to attach the front windshield.

Unplug the connectors from both left and right sides of nacelle. These go to the toggle switches. One controls the passing lights and the other is a aux switch

Almost forgot, i let my passing lights lay on my fender.

Remove both left and right sides of nacelle carefully pulling on them

Now this is what it looks like with the nacelle removed. You do not have to remove the nacelle but you have much more room to work with if you do. Now you can start unplugging wire harness connectors that pertain to your handlebars

Now you can apply your fron brake lever and wedge a piece of cardboard so the lever does Not go back to its regular position. This is to protect the little switch that is on your control housing from getting damaged. Now do the same for clutch side. Sorry, i forgot to take pix of this. You will need torx sizes t25 and t27 to remove the levers and switch housings. There are two screws on each (one on bottom and one on top).

Remove the 4 bolts holding the clamp with a 1/4 inch allen wrench. Remove the clamp and now you can remove the handlebars.

Handlebars removed.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
lopezluna
Novice

Hope that helps someone.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM
lopezluna
Novice

I had the H.D heated grips on my stock bars and am going to install thembon my new bars. The grips were made to where the wires from the left grip have to be ran outside the handlebars. I am modifying mine to run the wires internally.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Looking good!

The following users liked this post:
lopezluna (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

Good job!

The following users liked this post:
lopezluna (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 PM
lopezluna
Novice

Thanks guys! My bars are to be delivered any day now so i will be replacing the riser bushings meanwhile. No better time to replace the riser bushings than now. I will be taking pictures as i go.

Riser bushings will be replaced. Looking at the riser bolt.

The bushings are right under the risers

Old 07-03-2017, 06:27 PM
lopezluna
Novice
Default Back to the Burly beach bars

Originally Posted by lopezluna
Thanks guys! My bars are to be delivered any day now so i will be replacing the riser bushings meanwhile. No better time to replace the riser bushings than now. I will be taking pictures as i go.

Riser bushings will be replaced. Looking at the riser bolt.

The bushings are right under the risers
Made my wire diagrams
Soldered every wire
Used shrink tube
Crimped on new molex connectors and inserted back in to the connectors. I pulled all the wire harnesses inside the handlebars and tested them.
Heres a pic of the burly bars before i replaced the front brake cable.
Burly beach bars installed. These are the 38.5 width bars not the bikini bars. I was going to re-install my H.D heated grips but i would have had to bore the inside left of the bars and i chose not to.
08 road king with burly beach bars

Quick Reply: 08 Road King Classic installing Burly Beach Bars