Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide Conversion - 2015+ fairing on 2009 SG???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Hades02
Never understood that mentality. It's like guys that don't ride to keep the mileage down so that the bike doesn't lose value. That's like not f...ing your woman so that the p@ssy stays fresh and new for the next guy.
Different strokes for different folks. I just threw it out because sometimes passion blinds us to the obvious. You got it figured out, so all is good.

Beary

Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

You did a Rushmore RG fairing conversion? or Did you do a Pre-Rushmore? I'm looking to do a Rushmore conversion on my 2009.

Why did you go back?
If your looking at a true rushmore conv - thats really going to put a challange to you - electronics alone will be a nightmare.

However, as stated here on the forum = If you throw enogh $20 Bills at a problem/project - it will get taken care of?

Me - I would stay with same year

Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

ive looked at doing this conversion several times. As long as you are willing to go aftermarket or retroactive on gauges and stereo then the basic fairing portions will physicality bolt to a pre rushmore bike

however you will need to use pre rushmore hand controls which keeps you in pre rushmore gauges and radio primarily due to can bus

once you understand this, its only a question of $$$ and time.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
ive looked at doing this conversion several times. As long as you are willing to go aftermarket or retroactive on gauges and stereo then the basic fairing portions will physicality bolt to a pre rushmore bike

however you will need to use pre rushmore hand controls which keeps you in pre rushmore gauges and radio primarily due to can bus

I have done this conversion and I fo agree with you in part - however - If your looking at 'Plug and play' you need to buy 'Several' new wiring harnesses. Now if you want to sit at your kitchen table and CUT & SPLICE wires, you can save $ on wiring harness - I did the 'plug & play' others here have done the Cut/Slice. Cutting wires really open you up for Problems. Also, trying to figur out 'routing' head scratching for sure.

Bottom line, If I can do it - you can

Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Never understood that mentality. It's like guys that don't ride to keep the mileage down so that the bike doesn't lose value. That's like not f...ing your woman so that the p@ssy stays fresh and new for the next guy.
Wow - So thats why my EX-Wife wouldn't F--- me - She was 'saving' me for my next wife? What a sweetheart she was - she was looking out for me?

LOL

The following users liked this post:
hevis1 (09-04-2022)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide

I know that the electrical is different. I planned on using the 2009 gauges and going with the double DIN Sony radio. Similar to the 6.5 head unit. My main concern was the inner and outer bolting to the frame which in theory should just bolt up with Rushmore brackets since the frames are the same.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Hades02
Tourer

Originally Posted by harley0711
I have done this conversion and I fo agree with you in part - however - If your looking at 'Plug and play' you need to buy 'Several' new wiring harnesses. Now if you want to sit at your kitchen table and CUT & SPLICE wires, you can save $ on wiring harness - I did the 'plug & play' others here have done the Cut/Slice. Cutting wires really open you up for Problems. Also, trying to figur out 'routing' head scratching for sure.

Bottom line, If I can do it - you can
Thanks Harley0711. I know it won't be plug and play. Was mostly asking for experiences from folks that had done or attempted this.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I converted my 06 Electra glide, (non rushmore fairing) and it was an easy swap once the parts were obtained. I did this because I wanted a road glide and didn't want to spend the coin on a new or slightly used one. I ran it for a couple of years and ended up trading for a Rushmore. - one I rode one and felt the difference, i felt like I was riding a dinosaur.

I had about $2500 into the conversion (did the fenders too). I like to tinker and build, so it was a fun project, but I ended up trading anyway.

Someone noted that the value would go down with a converted bike, i did not find this to be the case. I got above average for my trade.

I don't want to sound like an ***, so take this advice with a grain of salt. If what you really want is a Rushmore road glide, just go buy one, the conversion may fill your need for a short time, but you will always be yearning for what you really want. - I learned this after my experience.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I converted my 06 Electra glide, (non rushmore fairing) and it was an easy swap once the parts were obtained. I did this because I wanted a road glide and didn't want to spend the coin on a new or slightly used one. I ran it for a couple of years and ended up trading for a Rushmore. - one I rode one and felt the difference, i felt like I was riding a dinosaur.

I had about $2500 into the conversion (did the fenders too). I like to tinker and build, so it was a fun project, but I ended up trading anyway.

Someone noted that the value would go down with a converted bike, i did not find this to be the case. I got above average for my trade.

I don't want to sound like an ***, so take this advice with a grain of salt. If what you really want is a Rushmore road glide, just go buy one, the conversion may fill your need for a short time, but you will always be yearning for what you really want. - I learned this after my experience.
Thank you for the info Steelerdude1. 2009 through 2017 are essentially the same bikes with the following updates:

2009 introduced the new frame (which is used on the Rushmores) and 180 rear wheel
2010 Canbus electrical system (which is the same through 2017). rear lights are all the same part number. 18" front wheel
2011 introduced new compensator
2014 introduced the 103HO motor and the boom nav system along with the 43mm front suspension, One touch saddlebags and 19" front wheel, hydraulic clutch and new style fairing. Streetglide came with same air shocks as 2013 and older. Only Special came with new style shocks (which you can bolt on to a 2013 and older without mods).
2017 introduced M8 motor and better front (49mm) and rear suspension.

I know that I haven't listed all of the changes for each model year. I was merely pointing out that the changes were to items not related to the frame after 2009 specifically 2014+.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:11 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Thank you for the info Steelerdude1. 2009 through 2017 are essentially the same bikes with the following updates:

2009 introduced the new frame (which is used on the Rushmores) and 180 rear wheel
2010 Canbus electrical system (which is the same through 2017). rear lights are all the same part number. 18" front wheel
2011 introduced new compensator
2014 introduced the 103HO motor and the boom nav system along with the 43mm front suspension, One touch saddlebags and 19" front wheel, hydraulic clutch and new style fairing. Streetglide came with same air shocks as 2013 and older. Only Special came with new style shocks (which you can bolt on to a 2013 and older without mods).
2017 introduced M8 motor and better front (49mm) and rear suspension.

I know that I haven't listed all of the changes for each model year. I was merely pointing out that the changes were to items not related to the frame after 2009 specifically 2014+.
think you're off on your dates. my 2010, 2012, and 2013 do not have the canbus system. i do know that they introduced the canbus earlier on softails, though not sure what year that was.

Quick Reply: Roadglide Conversion - 2015+ fairing on 2009 SG???