Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No running or brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Grampa tony
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No running or brake lights

I am a navy vet that recently purchased an 01 road glide FLTRI. I was pumped when i got the bike. I picked it up for $8,000 with 28k. miles. Its a beautiful green.Problem is that i have no running or brake lights. There is two disconnected wires by the battery. There is a four wire plug with orange,black,blue and red wires. The blue and red wires not connected and i cant figure out where they go. I can hot wire the blue wire to get running lights but thats all i can figure. I cant figure out where they go. Turn signals and all other lights work. I need help.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Tony

the plug under the seat is the acc plug, the orange pin on there is controlled by a switch on your dash

on a HD blue is used for running lights, red/yellow for brake and black for ground- these show up in the acc plug and are paralleled to the lights on the fender

IF the bike has been lowered, it is possible ( and kinda common) that the wiring inside the fender gets chewed up by the tire bottoming out

I think you need to physically trace the wires from the taillight forward.

the factory service manual has wiring diagrams

if you want to check the wiring in the fender you'll need to jack up the rear, easy to pull the lower shocks bolts and let the tire and swingarm drop down to give you room
be careful though as this can shift your balance point, causing a nose dive.
a 2nd set of hands and eyes can be good

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-24-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If you don't have an owners manual (these things seem to evaporate when a bike changes hands!) you may find you can download one from the H-D webaite, by going to the Owners tab. That should have details of fuses, which may help you a little. The FSM Mike refers to can be bought at your local friendly dealer, as can the owners manual book.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Grampa tony
6th Gear
Default Running lights

Thanks for the response. I do have the owners and service manuals. I am not too good with schematics. The wiring is good from the lights. Like i stated i can hot wire the blue wire to get running lights. Just not sure where it gets terminated. When i hot wire the red the lights on the cargo box light. If both wires are jumped,the only difference is the cargo box lights get brighter. I have the lighted chrome bars around the saddle bags and they work if the accessories switch is on. Im looking to find where the blue and red wires get terminated. I need tech info not info on how to trace wires. I dont mean to be a smart *** or jerk but tech info is needed on where these wires terminate. The manual tells where the plugs go but these wires are NOT connected to a plug. The plug they come out of is comming from the front side of the bike. Blue, red, orange and black. Black is ground. Orange is turn signals. Blue is running lights and red is the brake wire. I need help on where the blue and red terminate. Thanks again for your input. These wires were connected when i got the bike. I had to replace the battery and thats when i pulled out the wires. Tried to get ahold of previous owner, a harley mechanic, but his fingers must be broke. He doesen't return my calls. Nice guy ha? HELP

Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

using the manuals, trace the wires with your finger on the page- through each connector block..it's about being methodical.

then trace the wires on the bike to ensure they match the diagram.

from your description of the way the lights behave on the tourpak, the previous owner may have added the run/turn/brake module..and that would be a good question to ask him- hopefully he'll get back to you ( or he is on the beach drinking up your money 1 maitai at a time)

careful with hot wiring...you could blow something

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-25-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Grampa tony
6th Gear
Default No running brake lights

So i guess thousands of miles away kills any knowledge of wiring.... Its done and over. Damage done. Sorry for being disrespectful.

Last edited by Grampa tony; 06-25-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Bad attitude
Old 06-24-2017, 03:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the wiring on the various FLT models varies depending on model year- so you need to be specific- and your manual(s) have all the info you need

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-25-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Tony, you have a lot to learn!

Old 06-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

It's a green bike, they are bad luck. Really though TRACE THE WIRING. Its a used bike. We and you don't know what the previous owner had done. Like said each year has differences and only you looking at it can figure it out. If it really is messed up then build a new rear taillight harness.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 AM
Grampa tony
6th Gear

There is a pancea module installed. I TOTALLY APOLOGIZE for the way i presented. Am totally frusterated with this light issue and my post was so inappropriate it offended me, after i thought about. I was totally wrong and wish my sincerest apologies to mkguitar. I had no right taking my frustration out on you. Thank you for trying to help me. For y actions, i will probably get no help here. I f@@#ed mysef and really feel like a piece of ****. So once again i apologise for my actions and wish you nothing but the best. Sorry

Originally Posted by grbrown
Tony, you have a lot to learn!
you are correct, i do have a lot to learn. I apologized on a different post but i will say tthat my post was totally uncalled for. Sorry to disrespect other bikers or any folks on this website. I will bother ya'll no more. Peace

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-26-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: No running or brake lights