Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sheepskin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM
rollingthunder
Banned
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sheepskin?

ok. we all have seen the "seat" threads. bottom line is, every butt is different and just because one guy swears by Corbin (or Mustang, or Day-long, or Ultimate, or the Hammock, or whatever) does not mean that particular seat will be comfortable for you (although it might be). you have to try one or more to see if you like it.

anyway, i read the following comment on a recent "what is the best seat?" thread:

"I put on a sheepskin and now my seat is awesome I can now do 180 mile stop and fill up and do it over and over all day and not be sore. Without the sheepskin I would do 180 miles and then the rest of trip fill up every 100 miles and be sore at the end of the day. For me the sheepskin is my best improvement to the bike. I can do 1000 mile days with no monkey butt."

i have never heard that about sheepskin before!

so, i am curious - any other riders have similar experience with sheepskin?

Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

never heard of a seat cover that cures all ills.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

My wife and I purchased one three years ago from the good folks up in Alaska.

We bought it for the winter months and LOVED it. What we were not expecting was it to be so comfortable. We found it not only warm but like you mentioned we could stay in the saddle a lot longer.

Then spring rolls around and we did not want to take it off. Then summer rolls around and WOW is is MUCH cooler with it on then not.

We actually used to think of them as an OLD mans thing that looked stupid. Actually it really grew on us. The worst part is not getting it wet. If you do you CANNOT dry it. It must dry naturally. So if we knew we would be riding into rain we would just leave it home.

One of the best things we have purchased compared to heated gear and rain suits. I have not used it much on our Rushmore. Glad you reminded me!

Ride safe

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 07-05-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:38 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I ran the Alaska sheepskin that I bought in Sturgis on my Sundowner and loved it. Run a Zeppelin now and don't use it on that.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:39 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

sounds good what brands are ya'll using or does it matter.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Sheepskin used to be hugely popular back in the day but fell out of favor when technology and marketing methods advanced. Worth a try.

Svarnster, I've never seen a brand on a sheep. Horses and cows, yes.

​​​​​​​Heh. Heh.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

"Alaska Leather" sheepskin covers. Warm in winter, cool in summer, and comfy for all day trips. My wife and I used them on our Sturgis trip from the L.A. area and back, and never complained about sore butts... and this is on stock seats. They're on all the time, except to hand wash once in a while.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I use mine, especially in the summer. My but doesn't sweat on real hot days like it does sitting directly on the leather seat. I use one from a bike week, it is the entire size of my seat. The strap over my seat holds it in place, and I cut a slit for the backrest post. Love it, will buy another when this one is worn out, as a matter of fact I'll pick one up next time I see one as a spare.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Sheepskin used to be hugely popular back in the day but fell out of favor when technology and marketing methods advanced. Worth a try.

Svarnster, I've never seen a brand on a sheep. Horses and cows, yes.

​​​​​​​Heh. Heh.
you brand sheep the same way so they don't get mixed up with other herds. its just harder to catch em

Old 07-06-2017, 12:40 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Never used a sheepskin so I have no idea how well they may work but I do have (and use) the H-D Circulator seat and backrest pads and they do keep my butt and back dry during the hottest, humid days.
All I can say is that if a certain accessory makes your bike more comfortable for you and/or your passenger, by all means go for it!

As for riding distances, my bike (CVO Ultra) will go much farther on a tank of fuel than my butt, knees, ankles and feet can handle!

Another factor with some of us "middle-aged" folks riding long distances without stopping is the risk of dehydration, blood clots, and I believe UTI's. Sitting on a bike for long periods of time without taking breaks to walk and to drink lots of fluids is not a wise decision. As my wife tells me, if you're drinking the proper amount of liquids to stay properly hydrated, you should be using (to pee) the bathroom somewhere between 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Quick Reply: sheepskin?