Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NeEd HeLP, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:09 PM
2002flhtccustom
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NeEd HeLP, no spark

I have a 2002 flhtc Carburatored that I purchased(first Harley) and now trying to get her running. It has no batwing and a bunch of wires which I assume is for all the gauges and radio. I installed a push button on starter and she cranks over but no spark. It has chopper handlebars with no electrical mounted only brake & clutch. I tried putting direct power to white wire on the coil was no good. Where do I have to put 12v to get any sign of spark?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as my wife is not too happy I spent a bunch of money on it and its not running

thank you
Desperate Harley dad

Last edited by 2002flhtccustom; 08-25-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 327 Likes on 147 Posts

Desperate,
Yep...I'd be too under your circumstances.
I don't know what to tell you regarding getting your bike running, but IMO your not out of the woods easily on this one. A service manual specific to your year and model would be good to have, and maybe a friend who has some experience with electrics. I hate to say it, but you'll be spending more money to rebuild the fairing, gauges, controls etc. Might be easier to take it back to stock, but either way, mo money mo money.
I have no remedy to offer regarding your wife's position on this one, except I would hope she gave the nod for you to initially make the purchase.

Hope it works out for you.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:44 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

It's gona get tedious. You need a shop manual with a complete wiring diagram, a multimeter, some maskingtape and a sharp marker.

Match the wires in the dia gram with the wires on the bike (here's where the tape and marker comes in. Don't wanna be sayin "Now, was that red one with the white stripe kill switch or turn signal?" when you look at it again tomorrow.

Now, there's a section in teh manual with step by step trouble shooting for 'not starting'. Go through and when you find where the fault is, you'll have some hope of figuring out what wires need connecting, and parts like swithces and sensors need replacing.

Meditate on patience.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Pard, troubleshooting on the World Wide Web is really not the most efficient way to go. Completely agree with Mr. Mike on getting the factory service manual, and if you don't have one, get you to the dealer and get one! BEFORE you wrench. There are wiring diagrams in there that will help you suss it out.

If you don't have fair mechanical skills...and from what you're writing, I suspect this might be the case, since finding a 12 volt source isn't too difficult if this ain't your first rodeo...and no offense intended at all, sir...and because I have a sense that your bike is an hermorphadite...again, no offense, but that's what's described...you might actually think about getting it to an independent mechanic or skilled pal. In the event that I'm "not helping you", as some other individual responded to me a week ago... that is my offer of help...

But if you're dead set on fixing it yourself, that FSM is essential square one!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I believe in addition to the Factory Service Manual you also need the Factory Electrical / Electronics manual. You have a huge task in front of you sorting out all the electrics. It's going to be much more complicated than just application of 12 volts to a connector and the bike comes to life. It has been mentioned previously that if you aren't a skilled technician especially with electrical system it may be time to turn this over to a professional.