Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 FLHTCU won't start after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:48 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by PwnedNoob
Before I tore everything apart again, I thought I'd leave everything connected and lift up the top plate enough to see where the spray was coming from. Dang if it isn't from the fuel regulator escape (the port at the top of the regulator on the fuel shell body). So what does that mean? Clogged line or injectors?
Good on you to finally [Finally] verify. Like I said before in most cases is just the fuel regulator spraying...

Two injectors will not fail at the same time. You probably have a blocked or faulty valve (the one that is quick release and at the bottom outside the tank).
Pull the tank up and get at the small screw behind the horn that holds the fuel line feeding into the injector body.
Take the line out and point it into a can or jar. Turn the bike on. See if gas sprays out when you turn the bike over.

The following users liked this post:
PwnedNoob (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 03:10 PM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, I did just that. I'm getting gas flowing through the supply tube to the rail. Pressure too low? Maybe no power to injectors? (please, no, after all this)...

Old 10-21-2017, 04:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PwnedNoob
Thanks, I did just that. I'm getting gas flowing through the supply tube to the rail. Pressure too low? Maybe no power to injectors? (please, no, after all this)...

https://youtu.be/SaII_c5BWdI
That is plenty of gas. Even if the pressure was low you'd get a cylinder firing off - that is if the injectors were being told to fire.

I dunno, something in the battery compartment is either unhooked (I know you've been all over that) or a fuse is blown or your ET sensor just took a crap.

Since you just changed the battery, try looking in those areas again.

Last edited by lp; 10-21-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 PM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lp
That is plenty of gas. Even if the pressure was low you'd get a cylinder firing off - that is if the injectors were being told to fire.

I dunno, something in the battery compartment is either unhooked (I know you've been all over that) or a fuse is blown or your ET sensor just took a crap.

Since you just changed the battery, try looking in those areas again.
I checked the fuses, but wouldn't that be a pisser - if it was a fuse (though I checked them all). I'll see if the injector plugs are getting the signal. If not - I'm not sure where to look. I'll give it another day (Sunday) and THEN, I'm throwing in the towel.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

Well, I put a test lamp on the rear injector plug and I get a nice intermittent flash as I crank the engine. So the fuel is getting to the fuel rail and the injector gets a pulse. Would seem to indicate the injectors are bad - but both at once? Seems unlikely.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:27 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Crazier things have happened, but it certainly doesn't sound right.
You can simulate the injectors firing by taking the wiring harness off and running two wires from a 9 volt AA battery to the pins of the injector.
If you can turn the bike on, fire the injector for two seconds, then try to start the bike.
If the injector fired (and is operating correctly) that one cylinder will light off for a few seconds just like when you sprayed starting fluid down the intake.

It's hard to do this with the injector(s) in the bike but possible if you've got patience.

You can also just pull the two injectors and take them to a car shop and have them tested.

So no more Codes, no security light blinking?

Last edited by lp; 10-22-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:19 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

I sprayed some carb cleaner down the opening to the fuel rail and tried a start. No go.

I put everything back together (in preparation for calling a tow) and tried one more time with carb cleaner down the intake - just to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything and to hear it start up, if only briefly.

Damn if it didn't start and STAY RUNNING! WTF? I shut it off, waiting 10 minutes came back and tried it again with no carb cleaner - and damn the thing started on the first crank of the starter! Responds to throttle and idle seems normal.

So the battery was never the problem. The fuel filter shell was never the problem. The gas spraying around in the tank, now I know, is normal bypassing as the system is pressurized. The fuel lines, I guess, were ok as was the pump. Maybe some crud was in the supply tube going to the rail and got purged when I drained the tank? Maybe the injectors were clogged and the carb cleaner loosened them up?

Just at the point when I had given up, the damn thing comes to life. Unbelievable.

Enormous thanks to everyone who offered advice along the way. As painful as it was to read, it was painful to work through. Really appreciate all the suggestions and help!

Last edited by PwnedNoob; 10-22-2017 at 10:59 AM.