Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mondulating headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:16 AM
justmike911
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mondulating headlight

Thinking about a modulating headlight for my 2016 Ultra Limited. Couple of questions.
1) They dont work at night ? I get that they work during the day but why not take advantage of it at night as well ?
2) Do they work with the newer bikes
3) Which one do I get. Some modulate the high beam, others the main beam.
Thanks in advance for the help . Trying to learn whats up with this.
Mike

Old 10-08-2017, 06:27 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

the reason they don't work at night is because of dot regulations.

shouldn't be no reason why they don't work on a newer bike unless you have an led headlight and are trying to use a modulator that isn't designed for led. that's gonna be your biggest hurdle, make sure that you are trying to use the right part for the application.

I would go for one that is wired in your highbeam circuit, that way you can turn off the modulation if you choose by going to low beam.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:45 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a fan of the modulating headlight. I would worry that a driver may think they're being signaled that it's ok to turn left in front of me or to pull out ahead of me.

The following 2 users liked this post by nj08SEUltra:
oldbie (10-10-2017), twoglides13 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

Sofa king annoying those things...I say if you headlight is adjusted properly you don’t need them.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:12 AM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I would think you would have to turn it off at night so you could see. JMHO those are the worst invention. They PO me every time somebody rides behind me or is coming at me with one of those d@#$ things! Proper lighting should be enough

The following users liked this post:
Klohr (10-10-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 08:32 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Sofa king annoying those things...I say if you headlight is adjusted properly you don’t need them.
Originally Posted by TXNT
I would think you would have to turn it off at night so you could see. JMHO those are the worst invention. They PO me every time somebody rides behind me or is coming at me with one of those d@#$ things! Proper lighting should be enough
If they annoy you guys, they might be annoying the cagers too (assuming they're looking)... If you're annoying them, they see ya'

Most of the setups I've seen tie in to high beam switch, so they can be easily shut off when in a group, etc.

The following users liked this post:
lionsm13 (10-21-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 08:33 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I am all about lighting and the more/brighter the better to some degree but those things belong on metric bikes. Saw a bike of some sort not long ago, non HD with them in yellow. Very annoying/obnoxious. JMO.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:19 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

They work very well......at pissing people off. I know this from first hand experience. Behind a cager, they thought I was being an arsehole aggressive biker wanting them to move over to let me pass them or for them to speed up. Some times they would slam on their brakes trying to make me rear end them. I learned over 40 years ago to never tailgate on a bike.

When riding with other riders, no one wanted me behind them. Talk about being persona non grata. I didn't have it very long.

I am not trying to preach, just telling of my own personal experience with the mod. For me it just made me a more defensive rider. You need to do what is right for you.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:28 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 10 or 12 years ago I had the flashing headlight system on one bike. It made me more visible but on two lane highways I had some oncoming traffic pull to the side of the road. This was not the result that I wanted. There are too many people sitting on the edge of sanity. I did not want to **** one of them off.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Used to ride with someone who had a modulator. Finally removed it because the cages in front thought it was a police bike pulling them, and would slam on the brakes.

Quick Reply: Mondulating headlight