Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mondulating headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:03 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I have a brake light modulator, three flashes then steady. I want people behind me to notice me when I'm stopping.
I don't want people in front of, or coming at, me to be pissed off or distracted. There's a phenomena where distracted people actually drift towards the distraction when driving. I don't want to be the focus of that!

Old 10-08-2017, 12:22 PM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts

I run a headlight modulator. Had one on honda for 9 years and just put one on my RKC. The modulator is controlled by a sensor that detects sunlight. By Federal DOT, it must have a sensor so it can turn off at night and eliminate the rider's ability to have their headlight flash at night resembling an emergency vehicle. There are a variety of modulators out there. I put one on for safety and visibility. Does it annoy other drivers, maybe but they see me. Is it not favorable during group rides, yes but you can turn it off in those situations. I have not had any drivers become angry or break check me. A few have told me it was flashing and I explained that's the point. At the end of the day I want to ride safe and if this helps, then I'm all game. I also have the custom dynamics smart triple play run turn brake modulator as well.

The first one, purchased from http://www.comagination.com/ was super simple, plugged into headlight and ran off the high beam. Sensor wire was long enough to run up handle bars and worked very well. Ran on honda shadow for 9 years. Can turn off modulator by going to low beam.
Second one, purchased from http://www.signaldynamics.com/plugandplay is a little more sensitive than my first. Installed on my RKC, this one can work on Both high and low beam, has two speeds, and can be turned off during day time. Sensor is more sensitive that I like and the instructions say point the sensor towards the ground as sensor will activate the modulator if it senses light, even incandescent lighting. I don't like this for a few reasons. One the sensor wire is kind of short so I am limited to where i can face it. Right now it is facing towards the tank instead of upwards like I prefer. Due to this location, if I ride into shadows or stop at a light while in a shadow, the modulator stops flashing and then starts again after I pass out of the shadow. I gather this is due to the sensor location. Haven't fiddled with it to see if an alternative location would work better but due to the short wire, it's limited.

Last edited by ajnigli; 10-08-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:56 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
... If you're annoying them, they see ya'
......... and have a better idea of where to aim

Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

IMHO...they are a fixation target.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:34 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

They should be illegal... Period.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:13 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Really stupid, annoying, and so honda.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I saw one the other day on a Harley.
People were actually pulling over, in BOTH directions!
They must have thought he was a cop or something.
NOT for me!

Old 10-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Man those headlights drive me crazy. I am all about safety but I could not do one of those.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Sofa king annoying those things...I say if you headlight is adjusted properly you don’t need them.
Totally agree

Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

1. They were designed for incandescent headlights and worked okay for halogen. Incandescent simply were not bright enough even on high beam during the day. They are an archaic relic from an earlier time, pre Halogen. They are dangerously blinding when used with LEDs.
2. People will think you are a bicycle and act accordingly
3. On curving roads, 30-45 mph, cars waiting for a break often think you are signally them it is okay to pull out.
4. Many riders will treat you like a novice rider
5. Many riders will not allow you to ride with them when you flashing lights are deployed.
6. What you think is making you safer is distracting at best, dangerous to many, and makes you a target. It puts control of your safety in a device instead of your hands.
7. Drivers may (do) slowdown or suddenly brake because they think a) your a cop or b, you're an *******.
8. If you use it at night, you won't last long anyway. I cannot imagine you surviving when your are intentionally blinding oncoming vehicles, making it virtually impossible for them to judge the distance to you, and making it difficult for them to stay in their lane. It is a normal response when confronted by a brilliant light (especially flashing) when driving to move towards the light, not away from it.
Good luck. Hope you don't end up pissing off the wrong guy.

I live rurally and commute to a city. If you live urbanly, ride in traffic all the time, bright street lights, neon signs, lots of noise and cars in all lanes, maybe then they would offer some security to a rider, but I doubt it.

Flame away modulators, but that is my experience, so while you won't change me, maybe your brilliant retorts will change all the modulating fence sitters.

Quick Reply: Mondulating headlight