Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:06 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

You almost have to on long rides. I just use some orange foam ones. I am guilty of not wearing them on my weekend rides and should as I do have hearing loss related to 30 years of riding.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:16 AM
harfooz
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Howard Leight Max USA disposable. You can get 200 pairs of them at Amazon cheaply enough. Spend a few minutes reading up on how to insert them correctly, because it makes a big difference. I see people barely insert them and then complain that they don't work. Put 'em in right so you get a good seal.

'fooz

Old 11-05-2017, 07:30 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Blocking the wind noise on the highway will make the biggest difference. Foam ear plugs have a great DB reduction rating, but unless you have good hearing (I don't) it'll also block out the stereo. If you go to your local Audiologist, they'll get you hooked up with custom fitted ear plugs that will fit the bill. I have three sets, one set for when I was at the drag strip (max DB rating) another set to wear inside manufacturing facilities that still allow for normal conversation, then these for the motorcycle. All of these were $150 or less, and you can insert and remove in a second. They last for years too. It takes 15 minutes to get molds made at an ENT with an audiologist, you don't see the doctor.

https://www.westone.com/store/defend...nal/motorsport

Old 11-05-2017, 07:40 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I got a set of foam, tried em on my last longer hi -way ride, I now will always wear em on interstate, longer rides, I could still hear radio, horns ect. less fatigue, less ear ringing

Old 11-05-2017, 08:05 AM
socalfl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use them every ride. I have the pin lock ear plugs which have these ceramic things in them that make it easier to hear music but blockbthe wind.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:23 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
Ear plugs or ear buds, I really like the Tone Infinium Bluetooth ear buds, connects to the Bluetooth output of my Zumo 390 and my Android. Have music and directions, and it cuts wind noise and top end noise without sacrificing safety. Still hear car tire noise in my blind spot.
I only use the bike stereo when I'm detailing it.
Yup...... these:

https://www.ebay.com/p/LG-HBS-910-To...ack/2255357502

With some good ol' southern rock in 'em!

Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I road without earplugs for years and noiticed my wife starting to have some hearing loss and she works in a hospital so nothing in the work place to cause this. I work in a noise environment and use ear plugs at work but have a little mid range loss. So we started using foam ear plugs the last couple of years. I have been thinking about something better for riding but never knew where to look. I just ordered these (https://www.earpeace.com/products/mo...nt=40836255236 )
And will give the a try. Thanks for all the links and info , I may try some others if these do not do what I am looking for.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:48 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Guys, guys, guys...holy cow. I just started wearing ear plugs on a regular basis, and I'm astonished at how much more enjoyable riding has become. Even the MUSIC is better!

I turn 69 next month, and I started shooting as a 10 year old, when hearing protection, if you used anything, was either a broken off filter from a filter cigarette, or a wad of chewing gum stuck in your ear. Never used either one. Got the pink ones when I went through basic in '71.

I've been trying many, many different brands over the last two years, since I put the Pro Pipe on. I've been struggling with two problems:

1. The squishy foam ones stay in and are very comfortable, but they block too much of everything. Can't hear traffic, can't hear the earphones. Dangerous.

2. Tried, literally, at least six different brands of ear plugs; musicians, industrial, different tip sizes, etc.. I could never get them to stay in place, I could never find ones that fit, even with different sizes, and I was always struggling to get my full face on without dragging them out of my ears.

Having them custom made by a local hearing place was around $150, and I was about to do it, when I found that a local rider and his wife have a custom ear plug business. $65 with a HOG discount! When I was having them made, I found out that I have a pretty sharp curve in the ear canal, and that's why I could never find a "standard" ear plug to fit and stay in place.

WOW! WOW! These things are amazing! I can still hear what I need to hear, I can even stand around and talk while I have them in, but riding, well, that's a whole new thing.

I can easily hear my SENA, or my CB, by just tweaking the volume up a little bit. The most amazing thing? How much better the music sounds! The exhaust noise and the road noise and the wind noise is so much lower that the music is just there all by itself. Honestly, I rarely used to listen to music, because even with my Shoei on, I had to turn the volume up so far that it just wasn't enjoyable. Now, I listen to it all the time.

Really, even if you have to pay $150 at an audiologist, get the custom made ear plugs. You'll be amazed, and you'll find yourself wearing them all the time, because the riding gets just...well...relaxing.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Been wearing them since we were advised to, in a bike mag back in the 1970s! Also wear them in the car on long trips as well as aircraft. I have one ear canal much larger than the other, so have had occasional problems with fit over the years, but found some suppliers who will sell a mixed assortment of brands, which helped greatly in finding a suitable pair.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:59 AM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,233 Likes on 425 Posts

These:
Amazon Amazon

You can still hear stuff, but the loud air is reduced... they take the edge off.

Quick Reply: Earplugs?