Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts
Default 2007 Road King

Going Thursday morning to look at a 2007 Road King with just under 17K on the clock. 1 owner. Wife selling. Belonged to her husband (he died) and appears to be well maintained.

Anything I need/should be aware of regarding this year make/model. I come from a Pan, Shovel background (still own and run them) and owned an EVO once, so I have a decent understanding of HDs.

Looking for feedback on what/ what is not to like about this year model.

Last edited by panz4ever; 11-15-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Sounds like you're a good match for a 'new' bike! When viewing a secondhand bike I try to take a friend along, as a second pair of eyes, preferably a fellow motorcyclist, but preferably not one who has a competitive interest in the same bike! The bike is ten years old and may just have the original stock tyres, if so I would replace them without any further thought.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 2,505 Posts

I own a 07 RK. This is what I would look for. Ask if the Compensator has been changed she may have records of it. Take a flash light and ck for any bearing leaks on the primary side, behind the shift linkage on the inner primary. 07 was the first year for 6spd and 96 inch on touring so 5th gear will be noisy from the gear cut. also in 07 they changed the cam shoe material so you should be fine. I'm sure I missed some stuff others will be by pointing that out I'm sure.

rk classic.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Porky11
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2007 Road King with 50xxx+ of really trouble free miles. The only thing I found really wrong with it is the first gear sucks, it is too high and gearing is overall too high, remedy is I put a sportster rear pulley on and it helped a lot. Still original comp and hyd adjusters (put a cam in at approx 45000 and adjusters were just fine at that time). I think it is a nice bike and with the way prices are I will just keep it as it fits me now with the cosmetic changes that I have made.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Chances are if it is stock, and sounds like it might be, it will run very hot. Doing a decent stage 1 with AC/pipes and a PCIII tuner was a common upgrade back then. If it doesn't have that, you'll maybe want to do it just to get a bit more low end torque and cool it down a bit. 6th gear was pretty useless below 2500rpm with it, and you'll be going 70+ by that time with the way these are geared.

In 07 the bikes did not have the IDS (Isolated Drive Sprocket) that HD installed in all the touring models in 08 and forward, but it could be installed in an 07 with the IDS kit. Really helped smooth out the ride.

With only 17K mileage I seriously doubt the compensator has been touched, but I didn't need to upgrade/fix mine till 60K miles. But like all these Harley Tourers the compensator will eventually fail.

But all the stuff that were weak spots back then are pretty much the same as most of the other HDs.. compensators, voltage regulators, etc. The cam chain tensioners have proved to good way past 75K miles. I changed mine out at 63K when I did my 107 build, but they still were fine.

That was the first year of the 96ci and 6 speed transmission. But both of those upgrades had no problems, people that complained about noise in the transmission needed to get their head examined, it's just a bit louder due to square cut gears in first.

I love my 07 EGC, but I haven't been afraid to mod it to get it to work a bit better either.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:24 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I love my 07 Road King Custom (my forth RK). It' a good year because it has the older lighter frame with the newer six speed tranny. I Personally don't have any complaints about first gear or the noise from 5th gear. I do believe my comp is starting to go, but it has 33,000 miles. I thought mine had the IDS, I will have to look. But if it doesn't it seems fine without it to me. If you don't have the cruise control, they are hard to find. The 07 is the last year before Harley went to electronic throttle control.

Beary

Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 AM
b1gj0n44
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Good post and good timing... I'm going to look at an 07 RK and EG tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys

Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

I also have an 07 RK. Best bike of the 4 Harleys I've owned. I don't have the IDS and have no reason to put it on as the bike is fine for me. The one thing that has caused me grief twice is the Y pipe cracking behind the rear head. Variety of ways to fix it. Last time I had it welded.

Most forums refer to the 07/08's as a sub standard bastard bike so you'll have to get a thick skin if you don't have one already. The Idle Air Control Valve needs love about once a year. 50,000 miles on mine and I would ride it anywhere and have.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:25 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I love my 07 Road King Custom (my forth RK). It' a good year because it has the older lighter frame with the newer six speed tranny. I Personally don't have any complaints about first gear or the noise from 5th gear. I do believe my comp is starting to go, but it has 33,000 miles. I thought mine had the IDS, I will have to look. But if it doesn't it seems fine without it to me. If you don't have the cruise control, they are hard to find. The 07 is the last year before Harley went to electronic throttle control.

Beary
Good point, and also the last year of the smaller 5 gal gas tank. I'm sometimes envious of the larger tank which came out in 08.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by oldhippie
I'm sometimes envious of the larger tank which came out in 08.
Got one of them on my 1990 Glide! May be possible to retrofit one on an intermediate bike, especially without a c/v carb.

The following users liked this post:
oldhippie (11-15-2017)

Quick Reply: 2007 Road King