Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air vs Premium Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

New rear shock are on my list also. My 03 RKC still has the original air shocks with a great 150K miles. It's time...

Mostly ride 2 up for a combined 550lb/ish weight. We also do multi day trips which add another who knows what in extra weight.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Nokkon Wud; 12-11-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Raider Bill, I too have and O3 RKC and I am totally happy with the stock air shocks. The whole Idea was not to cheap out when the factory put them on. It was for adjustability and very easily done with a small hand pump instead of a shock wrench. I also have a Police solo "air ride" seat on my skoot, so I'm air over air. I am 60 year old and cant understand what the fuss is all about. If you want total comfort, drive a cage. These are Harleys after all, it goes with the ride.

randy

Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

I've owned several Ultras all with Air shocks and yeah, they suck, can never get them adjusted right. I bought this 14 RK and same stiff ride, I bought a good used set of 12" Premium ride shocks and boy, what a difference. Only paid $250 for them and made a huge difference from Air. I also benefited from the 1" lower shock and never had much of a problem bottoming out. I weigh 225. even with my 120 lb girl on. Of course, some Ohio potholes are big enough to swallow a volkswagon and you hit that and will bottom out

Now as far as some of the other aftermarket, I hear nothing but good with them but I can't justify $700 plus for a good set of shocks when these feel fine to me.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLX
I'm thinking about swapping my rear air shocks for the HD premium shocks. What are your thoughts and experience? I know there probably is better shocks than the HD shocks. In general, is this an improvement over the air? I think so but would love to hear all opinions.

TIA,
MJ
Here's a REPORT LINK we did on Rear Suspension. Check it out!

In the report, you will find lots of useful information, including this chart:

You can see from the chart, the Twin Adjustables got more points of improvement in ride quality over the HD shocks and even the Progressives for a better price.

Here's a LINK to the Twin Adjustables if you'd like to read up on them!

Hope this helps!

Cristy

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Raider Bill, I too have and O3 RKC and I am totally happy with the stock air shocks. The whole Idea was not to cheap out when the factory put them on. It was for adjustability and very easily done with a small hand pump instead of a shock wrench. I also have a Police solo "air ride" seat on my skoot, so I'm air over air. I am 60 year old and cant understand what the fuss is all about. If you want total comfort, drive a cage. These are Harleys after all, it goes with the ride.

randy
Ummmm....... They are cheap. They are antiquated. If you never push your bike, I'm sure they are okay. Anything being putzing, they are garbage. But, if you've never ridden better, you never know. Enjoy!

Old 12-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLX
I'm thinking about swapping my rear air shocks for the HD premium shocks. What are your thoughts and experience? I know there probably is better shocks than the HD shocks. In general, is this an improvement over the air? I think so but would love to hear all opinions.

TIA,
MJ
Lots of opinions here but not too many replies of actual experience.

I switched out my stock suspension on my 2014 FLHTK with H-d's 13" premium hand adjustable rear & premium cartridge front when I purchased the bike. I had to wait for components to ship, so I did my first 1000 miles on oem suspension. Suspension upgrades were installed at the 1k service. I noticed an immediate improvement in handling. It took a lot of trial/error adjustments to find the best setting for the rears. My final settings were completely different than the guidelines in the owner manual, however I believe those guidelines were really specific for the 12" units delivered as oem on SG models.

As I approached 30kmi the rear shocks were no longer providing good control; they were wore out. At 29kmi I had a set of Ohlins HD159's built & installed. After setting preload, only one adjustment was made to the rebound setting & shocks were dialed in. Ride control has not only been restored, it has been dramatically improved.

In summary, the H-D premium hand adjustable 13" shocks were an improvement over oem air shocks, but they do wear out & at some point will need to be replaced (not serviceable). Ohlins can be rebuilt (serviceable).

The following users liked this post:
DBLX (12-11-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
I am 60 year old and cant understand what the fuss is all about. If you want total comfort, drive a cage. These are Harleys after all, it goes with the ride.

randy
You're merely a young whippersnapper! At 70 years old I can assure you Harleys can ride a darned sight better than with the stock suspension we get.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hammz
Lots of opinions here but not too many replies of actual experience.
Plenty of us also have Ohlins and enjoy the dramatically improved ride quality they provide! Stacks of threads around HDF about them.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

grbrown, you are correct they can ride better but then again so does a Goldwing and just about every other cruiser out there. My point is that although me being young at 60 (thank you very much), the whole mystique of the Harley is being lost to the "terminator" cup holders, gps's. stereos and the lot. Harleys at one point were a mans bike (no offense ladies) and all that went with it. A little bump in the road and we are willing to drop hundreds and hundreds of dollars so our a$$es don't get hurt. Just my opinion guys but if I'm going to ride, I want to feel the road and whats under me. Perhaps I'm just fortunate enough to not be bothered. Prior to my 03 RKC, I rode a 65 sportster, a 68 sportster with a mag and a 74 shovel. Those were bone jarring so I guess I'm more than happy with what I have now.

randy

Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Randy, we've ridden similar paths! Having bought new and survived several years of ownership of a '74 74" I have no wish to endure that discomfort again! And I'm confident that Mrs B will say much the same of our current Glide, before I upgraded it.

Quick Reply: Air vs Premium Shocks