Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED lighting upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:10 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts
Default LED lighting upgrade

I'd like to upgrade my front and rear turn signals to LED, bi-color in the rear if possible (red run/brake and amber turn) and possibly something like the Electra-glo setup. Something on the rear of the bags to add visibility, while not completely disrupting the lines/look of the stock rear end. The problem with LEDs is the lack of resistance causing the fast flash. What's the best way to go about upgrading the lighting without spending all my lunch money? Are there bulbs with integrated resistors available?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

You'll find a lot of opinions and good answers here. I did a lot of research and ended up with a complete set of Custom Dynamics on my 2007 Softail with an equalizer. You may not need it on the 2013. Others on this forum can surely provide an answer as can Custom Dynamics Technical Service. In my opinion, this was the best way for me. It wasn't cheap but by far the best solution I thought. Check them out.

Thank you for your service to our country sir...

The following users liked this post:
67Shuv (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:32 PM
NugBa
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I been seriously considering these https://www.lawabidingbiker.com/ciro3d-fang-led/ . I like lawabidingbiker.com Lots of useful videos. In the installation video he also explains how to stop the fast flashing for these lights after the instal is complete.

John
Another Very Happy M8 Owner!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

I don’t think you can have red run, red brake, amber turn. There are only three wires: 1-run, 2-bright, 3- ground. For brake, the bright is on full. For turn, the bright turns on off on.etc. To have an Amber turn...it would be the equivalent of 3 filaments, and would require an additional wire. Or an intelligent switch in the LED module, that would sense the turn signal is flashing...and then activate the Amber Leds. This would result in either a delay in activating the Amber turn signal while it decides the turn signal is on, or it would start=flashing red, then change to Amber.

But...I could be wrong. I thought I was once, but I was wrong.

Edit: But, Ciro offers the run, brake, Amber filler lights for certain touring models.

Edit2: Well...it looks like this might do what you are looking for. It takes the approach of adding the additional wire,
https://www.denniskirk.com/ciro/chro...prd/219992.sku

Last edited by TriGeezer; 02-06-2018 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
67Shuv (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:49 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Originally Posted by TXNT
You'll find a lot of opinions and good answers here. I did a lot of research and ended up with a complete set of Custom Dynamics on my 2007 Softail with an equalizer. You may not need it on the 2013. Others on this forum can surely provide an answer as can Custom Dynamics Technical Service. In my opinion, this was the best way for me. It wasn't cheap but by far the best solution I thought. Check them out.

Thank you for your service to our country sir...
thank you! I've seen a lot of the CD parts. Good stuff.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:20 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I don’t think you can have red run, red brake, amber turn. There are only three wires: 1-run, 2-bright, 3- ground. For brake, the bright is on full. For turn, the bright turns on off on.etc. To have an Amber turn...it would be the equivalent of 3 filaments, and would require an additional wire. Or an intelligent switch in the LED module, that would sense the turn signal is flashing...and then activate the Amber Leds. This would result in either a delay in activating the Amber turn signal while it decides the turn signal is on, or it would start=flashing red, then change to Amber.

But...I could be wrong. I thought I was once, but I was wrong.

Edit: But, Ciro offers the run, brake, Amber filler lights for certain touring models.

Edit2: Well...it looks like this might do what you are looking for. It takes the approach of adding the additional wire,
https://www.denniskirk.com/ciro/chro...prd/219992.sku
I have watched a couple different videos on the filler panel lights. I like them on some bikes but I don't think they are what I'm looking for. The "bag blades" I believe will do what I'm after though. My ultimate goal is increased visibility. I feel like some of those filler panel lights kinda get tucked in too far and someone with a quartering view of the bike may not see them. HD most definitely didn't put enough lighting on the rear of this bike. The bag blades are higher up and out on the ends of the bags where they can be seen. I may give those a shot. The turn signal inserts are nice too but I've never been a big fan of any of the "halo" appearing lights. I do like the idea of adding the daytime running lights to the front inside the existing housings. Yes, im kinda picky, I know.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

All kinds of options out there for you.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just two days ago i added the bag lights on my S G. They are from Custom Dynamics and they are nice. I was going to add them in the OEM rear lights too but after seeing what i have, i think i am good to go as is. If i added more at the rear i would need an equalizer and i am about to run out of room under my seat. LOL

Old 02-08-2018, 08:16 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I have Custom Dynamics Ringz in front & Fillerz in the rear, on Amazon prime.
I also added H-D Electra Glo LED saddlebag lights in the rear, I'm all lit up in
the rear when I hit the brakes. You will need a Load Equalizer for your Bike.

My 2014 Street Glide has a canbuss electrical system, no load equalizer needed.

John