Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camera mounts on fairing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 PM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Camera mounts on fairing bolts

For some time I've been looking to add a "dashcam" to my bike. I finally gave up on finding a decent "dashcam" and bought a Go Pro clone. It came with a bunch of accessories but nothing to easily mount it on my 2015 FLHTK.

I have seen the RickRak unit, https://www.rickrak.com/product/go-p...fairing-mount/, at several shows. It finally dawned no me where I'd seen a similar swivel head - my old camera tri-pod. I did a little research and discovered that I could buy the tri-pod piece and build my own mount. I used a 1/4x20 stud cut to 1.25 inches, a rubber washer to protect the chrome trim, the tri-pod head, and the camera mount that came in the Wasp camera kit. Everything seems to fit nicely.

However, I recently saw a post from hbsoldier3 about his mount using a threaded Ram ball. Since I had those pieces around I gave that at try to. I used the 1/4x20 stud cut a little longer than 1.25 inches, a rubber washer to protect the chrome trim, Ram ball, 2" Ram arm, connected to yet another mount from the camera kit.

Both methods fell very solid. I've decided to stay with the Ram mount because it will be much easier to remove it during overnights than the tri-pod configuration was.

As you can see from the pictures I also drilled the camera casing to accept power all the time. The unit now comes on with the ignition and goes into "dashcam" mode. I put a rubber bushing around the opening and will probably mold Sugru around from the inside as some point. Obviously, this has impacted its viability at being waterproof but if this camera fails then I'll pick up another clone. They're pretty cheap and now that I've got the mounting worked out easy to replace.

Tri-Pod head and pieces

Tri-pod attached

Ram pieces and mount

Ram mounted

Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts
Old 05-21-2018, 06:19 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

Yep, that's the thread I saw your picture in. I didn't have the ball mount with the threaded rod attached. What I had on hand was just the ball but I was able to use a threaded rod to get the same effect.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (05-21-2018)