Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Like said, it ain't worth the paper it's wrote on until you need it.. Then the rubber meets the road...

Old 06-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Drtumolo
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I see what everyone is saying about the cost vs return. I usually have always wrenched on my own bikes until I got this streetglide new in 2016. I am just concerned with all the electronics going on with this bike that one failure could cost more then the policy. Maybe I am wrong but that is my thought process so far.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 334 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Regarding those types of plans, they are being offered simply because it is a great moneymaker for the dealership. Think about that.

In my personal experience owning pretty much only new bikes, I never went over the cost of what a service plan (extended service plan) covers. Never.

They sell you on fear. What if. What if. What if. Well, the what if statistically does not happen. Insurance companies are not stupid. So if you think “business” you are likely not going to purchase one. If you are afraid and want to cover you for comfort reasons, that is a different story.
Um my lifters just failed, taking the cam with them, very happy i bought the fear they were selling, as this repair will easily pay the cost of the ESP. With all the electronics on the Rushmore's and M8's one would be crazy to ride these naked.

Last edited by 30glock; 06-22-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Regarding those types of plans, they are being offered simply because it is a great moneymaker for the dealership. Think about that.

In my personal experience owning pretty much only new bikes, I never went over the cost of what a service plan (extended service plan) covers. Never.

They sell you on fear. What if. What if. What if. Well, the what if statistically does not happen. Insurance companies are not stupid. So if you think “business” you are likely not going to purchase one. If you are afraid and want to cover you for comfort reasons, that is a different story.

When I worked for a company furniture company they loved the service plans because the profit margin is 90%.

BuzzCap7
I debated real hard buying an ESP. $1400 for 5 years was a no-brainer for me when I ride about 15K a year. In one year out of factory warranty, my ESP has already paid for itself. Now, if you ride 3-5K a year, then maybe not. When you ride high miles on a touring bike with all the electronics, I think you'd be a fool to NOT spend the $300 a year. Let's see, that's about 2.5 hours of labor nowadays.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:38 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
Um my lifters just failed, taking the cam with them, very happy i bought the fear they were selling, as this repair will easily pay the cost of the ESP. With all the electronics on the Rushmore's and M8's one would be crazy to ride these naked.

How many miles on your CVO?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 334 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
how many miles on your cvo?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
Yes, that is exactly my point. You are the exception to the rule.

30G, imagine if EVERYONE who bot the ESP had issues like that. The ESP would be halted actually never started in the 1st place.

It is kind of like playing lotto. Most everyone will NOT hit the 50 Million pot. Most MUST FAIL to have that game available. Same with the insuranace.

BuzzCap7

Old 06-23-2018, 01:08 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Yes, that is exactly my point. You are the exception to the rule.

30G, imagine if EVERYONE who bot the ESP had issues like that. The ESP would be halted actually never started in the 1st place.

It is kind of like playing lotto. Most everyone will NOT hit the 50 Million pot. Most MUST FAIL to have that game available. Same with the insuranace.

BuzzCap7
Unless you're a rider who averages 15K a year. Then I can about guarantee you, the ESP will statistically tilt in your favor

Old 06-23-2018, 07:13 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Unless you're a rider who averages 15K a year. Then I can about guarantee you, the ESP will statistically tilt in your favor
You would certainly think so. And possibly you are correct.

For about a 6 year period, I used to ride ~32,000 miles a year. I bought the service plan so I would have “peace of mind”. I have found in that six-year. As well as several years prior to that when I was riding less miles per year, the plan never paid for itself. Other than the peace of mind part.

I now ride approximately half of that and in all honesty my friend, I am contemplating getting the ESP. It is a bit of a battle for me because I know it is strictly a peace of mind thing.

1) I never use the plan in approximately 12 years of having it.

2) I know they do not offer it because they lose money. They offer it because they know they will be making a lot of money from the insurance plan. And that is what it is. Insurance.

Having discussed this with you rhuff, I think at the very least it helped me decide to pass on the plan and gamble it. I think it is a very good gamble on my part.

Either way, that is my $.02.

BuzzCap7

Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
I see what everyone is saying about the cost vs return. I usually have always wrenched on my own bikes until I got this streetglide new in 2016. I am just concerned with all the electronics going on with this bike that one failure could cost more then the policy. Maybe I am wrong but that is my thought process so far.
I don't think you are wrong. Heck, a radio itself costs about $1900, and that doesn't count the install cost and tax!

Quick Reply: ESP Advice