Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:35 PM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Road trip

Heading out Saturday to check another 3 states off my list. Montana, North and South Dakota. This will bring my total to 45 states. I figured I’d spend night in Red lodge and ride the Beartooth Highway while in the area. Any must see suggestions or recent info on Beartooth Highway, weather, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 08-21-2018, 01:41 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay in Red Lodge and ride over Beartooth and down to Cody, then go west into Yellowstone, that highway is a great ride.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:59 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

It's been six weeks since we went through Yellowstone and rode Beartooth Pass but the pass was 39 degrees and it snowed on us the entire time. Colder than six feet up a snowman's ***. Also about 20 foot drifts here and there. Take heavy clothes.
-Hoggly

Old 08-21-2018, 04:13 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 236 Likes on 155 Posts

I don’t know about the pass because I came from Glacier. But a week ago it was hot all over western Montana and Wyoming. 90’s in Yellowstone. Be prepared for any kind of weather. Also watch out for
road construction inside the park. On 89 south of Mammoth hot springs we had to ride 5 miles of mostly mud with a little gravel. It wasn’t fun.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Grady10
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Get ready for some beautiful views. Rode it about 3 weeks ago. Check the weather!! It can change in a heartbeat. There is road construction on the west side by the lodge. Enjoy the trip.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:08 PM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully I can avoid the snow. I don't mind seeing it on the mountain and I'm fine riding when its cold. Just don't want the slick stuff on the road.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 PM
burgh rider
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure which path you are taking, but if get a chance , ride rt. 16 ( called "The Sweet 16") from Cody to Buffalo, Wy. In my opinion, it is the nicest ride and has the best scenic views in the state. Just be sure you have warm coats because it can get chilly in the mountains.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:01 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,324 Likes on 1,911 Posts

How much time do you have? In SD Rushmore, Needles Highway and Iron Mt Rd..
Devils Tower, Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon and many other nice rides.

I would stay stay in Cody. Enter the park at the east entrance and I think the must sees are: Yellowstone Falls, Old Faithful geyser and Lodge, Lamar Valley. Too many good pull offs to list. From Cody we like to enter the park and ride the east edge up through Canyon and out through Lamar Valley. We ride down Bearstooth to Red Lodge , get lunch then back up Bearstooth and back to Cody on Chief Joseph Highway.

I hope you have heat gear as it’s pretty cool in the mornings. We stayed 2 nights at Lake Lodge a few weeks ago and it was 40 degrees in the morning.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:19 AM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

The ride out north (Gardiner) entrance to Yellowstone is amazing and worth detour even if you turn right back around and go in, IMO.

Not sure about southern parts per se, but weather in central MT has been extremely erratic past couple weeks; had several days over 100 which is really unusual in these parts, then highs mid 50s and 60s and rain barely a week later. Nights tend to be very cool, especially with much elevation, and high temps generally aren't reached until late afternoon so mornings can be pretty chilly also. Be prepared, good luck and enjoy! Great riding in this part of the country with virtually no traffic, though park can be bad; if you do go through Yellowstone I'd aim for weekday and be sure to check construction as mentioned above...

Old 08-22-2018, 05:44 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,324 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Here's a good site for Yellowstone information:

http://www.yellowstone.co/roads.htm

Quick Reply: Road trip