Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trialers

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
bobo06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trialers

Thinking about getting a trailer to pull behind the Ultra.
Just curious how many of you pull or have pulled a trailer. Why do you pull one. Problems, recommendations.

I just got the bike packed for a trip to the blackhills and yellowstone. Leaving tomorrow. I got everything my wife and I need for 7 or 8 days. Might have to do a little laundry, but thats no problem. Seems with trailer we just end up taking more "stuff".

Was looking at the Bushtec and American Legends. 4,000 for a little trailer? Might be nice but not that nice.

Bobo

Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: trialers

I will be watching this pretty close. This is something that has been on my mind as well.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
jbhawley
Road Master

funny you ask...
I just bought a Piggybacker trailer...search for it on ebay. The company is from Greenville SC and are a real pleasure to deal with. Called them on thursday had the trailer on monday. Probably even quicker if you call them on a monday/tuesday. cost was around 650$ delivered.
I made a few mods...more lighting, interior lights, etc...
WAY less $$$ than the name brands. A great starter trailer. I am planning on using mine for the first time next week for a 5 day camping trip with the wife.

check out these links for some ideas:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm
http://www.robertawhite.com/piggybacker.htm

Old 06-29-2007, 03:50 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

I have pulled a trailer on trips since 1995. First with my Gold Wing and now with my Street Glide. My wife can not even go over night without it. To many things she must have. I have never had any problems pulling it. Got a hitch from Hitch Dr. and fit & finish are great. Price is even better than most. They are nice for saving your parking spot at motel rooms too! When we get some where I just unhook and leave it in my spot while we ride. I just took this photo this morning since we are out on our anniversary ride! Been marride 16 years today.

Ride safe,

Mike

Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy of mine started pulling one recently. He said the only things you have to get used to are that you are now twice as long (when pulling into places, passing, etc.) and the fact that the trailer is wider than the bike. So, if you like riding anywhere near the edges of the travel lanes, you have to be conscious of the extra width behind you. He said, otherwise, you don't even notice it is behind you. I am planning on getting one to pull behind the 'Glide.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:55 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

I learnt years ago that when camping on a bike, tent and sleeping bag is all that is needed. As i got older a chair was nice to have and a small kettle and burner for coffee in the morning. Then came the girlfreind and of course the air mattress, and the extra clothes. Then my buddy got put out cause I had a chair so I brought an extra, then two for when sombody stops by the camp to BS. A buddy and me made this.......Sorry the only picture I have at work, its behind my old sportster......

Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
03ultra100th
Cruiser

I have an Aluma MCT-XL. It's all aluminum and has 17 cf of capacity. Tows pretty good. Last year towed it 7,000 miles with no problems. Has rubber torsion axles and ez lube hubs with aluminum wheels. Pretty reasonably priced too. About 1600 or so if you shop around. Thomas bus sales in des Moines, Ia is a big dealer or Fort Dodge Trailer sales. Ft. Dodge, Ia. They both have web sites and you can search their inventory. Getting ready for a 10,000 mile trip . Going to Sturgis the first week of August, then Beartooth Pass and points west and south.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
03ultra100th
Cruiser

Here is a pic of my Aluma in Zion National Park last year after the Sturgis rally.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30204/8B3E0DCF4F8D4CC592EC992F902A7C7C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't own a trailer, but I ride with several folks who do, and we've made some mighty long trips together. Two of these bike owners tow Bushtec trailers, and they are bullet proof. I've ridden behind them over all kinds of roads, railroad tracks, etc. and the Bushtec does not bounce around like some do. Yes, they are expensive, but they hold their value very well. Occasionally you'll see one on eBay....I believe there is a black one on there right now....and they sell well.

Another trailer that looks like a premium one is the Uni-Go motorcycle trailer......it has one wheel and leans with the bike. It is narrow enough to fit through a door, so you can take it inside a motel room if needed. Won't hold as much as a Bushtec, but is lighter. Has a good suspension.

My 2 cents!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 03ultra100th

I have an Aluma MCT-XL. It's all aluminum and has 17 cf of capacity. Tows pretty good. Last year towed it 7,000 miles with no problems. Has rubber torsion axles and ez lube hubs with aluminum wheels. Pretty reasonably priced too. About 1600 or so if you shop around. Thomas bus sales in des Moines, Ia is a big dealer or Fort Dodge Trailer sales. Ft. Dodge, Ia. They both have web sites and you can search their inventory. Getting ready for a 10,000 mile trip . Going to Sturgis the first week of August, then Beartooth Pass and points west and south.
Sounds like you are going on the same trip as my brother and myself. Leaving Aug.4th

Quick Reply: trialers