Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars? Apes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Well, most would say quality costs money - Look at KST, but praise for them is not universal.
That's a fact Jack. Bought a set when I first learned of them about 6 or 7 years ago. Great bars. Last set sucked.
Wild 1's are consistently good bars. Usually.
Ya get what ya pay for.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:54 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i installed a set of the 14" wild ones that had the two sharp angles on it. I sprayed WD40 in the bars and rubbed it on the housing before pulling it through and it was still a PITA of a sorts...first one went ok, but the 2nd one got stuck and for a while there i didnt think i was going to make it. I never listen, so i soldered my connections all at the same length so after taping it i was left with one larger lump to pull through, thats what got stuck. i would highly suggest not being like me and if you have to solder connections STAGGER THEM if you have a sharp angle to get past.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I guess I didnt realize there were so many aftermarket manufactures of bars out there? I honestly dont even know where to begin? and truthfully didnt realize that they were so pricey which doesnt even include the extended cables needed as well.
It would be nice if I could find a nice used set in a 12" rise that someone decided to go smaller or taller? But I suppose thats gonna be like finding a needle in a hay stack? LOL

Old 09-08-2018, 06:17 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 656 Posts

Not really. Just keep an eye on the classifieds and ebay and craigslist. I see stuff quite a bit but im near a medium city. That being said, for the prices i found used i just went new.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:47 AM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I almost threw my yaffes in the trash i had such a bad time getting the wires run. I would probably buy anything else other than yaffes. Check out vindikta and f47. The price is similar to the yaffes. I had a hard time getting a small chain through the straight section of my yaffes. Id hate to run a bore scope through them to see the welds. I expect shorts in my wiring before too long from the welds cutting the insulation.
no problems pulling wires on my yaffes. I brought them up to my buddies shop and we did them in a couple hours..Been on for a couple years no shorts yet.... knock on wood

Old 09-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Loving my 13" Arlen Ness Modular Apes. Nothing easier to wire then these, And I can set pull back to what ever is most comfortable for my wrists. Look good too. Although you'll pay close to the same as Yaffe bars.

Attachment 619131

The following users liked this post:
Knysh16 (11-13-2019)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Memo7070
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
Yes I did. I would give it a 5 on the difficulty scale with 10 being the most difficult..... The hardest part for me was pulling the wires through the bars. I removed the connectors and it was still a pain. They have a very good you tube video that i used which made the job a breeze.
Thanks for the info, did you use the stock wires and cables like in the video? Im tempted to do a set myself on my 14 Glide as well.
according to the video how long did it take you from start to finish?
TIA
Memo7070

Old 09-08-2018, 09:25 AM
joe98
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I had Wild 1 WO 578 10" on my 08 Street glide. Excellent fit & finish, solid quality bars. Incredibly comfortable for me, 5' 10". I have heard a lot of good things about la choppers twin peaks, in fact a friend has them on his Ultra. Seem comfortable too. Unfortunately, some if the other bars are very expensive such as Vindikta, Factory 47, Yaffe.. Can't remember the others. Try Santee 11" bars very reasonably priced ....good luck

Old 09-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,739 Likes on 6,891 Posts

I've used the Wild One WO578 before and you cannot beat them for the money. They are right to the top of the fairing and extremely comfortable.

On my present Bike I went with Yaffe 10 inch Monkey Bars. I find the quality to be very good and did not have issues running the wires. It is harder but certainly not impossible. The look and chrome are fantastic. Bought mine through Revzilla with free shipping and no sales tax.

Regardless of what brand you buy if you are using heated grips make 100% sure you pay attention to the fact you will have to trim off the end of the bar to shorten it or you will get a gap between the switch housing and the step up on the bar.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:37 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I've used the Wild One WO578 before and you cannot beat them for the money. They are right to the top of the fairing and extremely comfortable.

On my present Bike I went with Yaffe 10 inch Monkey Bars. I find the quality to be very good and did not have issues running the wires. It is harder but certainly not impossible. The look and chrome are fantastic. Bought mine through Revzilla with free shipping and no sales tax.

Regardless of what brand you buy if you are using heated grips make 100% sure you pay attention to the fact you will have to trim off the end of the bar to shorten it or you will get a gap between the switch housing and the step up on the bar.
Curious If you liked the Wild ones so much before how come you went with Yaffe's? I am not using heated grips at this time, possibly another upgrade down the road!

Quick Reply: Handlebars? Apes?