Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a fuel programmer worth it for a slightly modded 06 Electra glide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Is a fuel programmer worth it for a slightly modded 06 Electra glide?

Good evening gents. Im the new owner of a 06 Electra glide. Bike has SE air cleaner and SE pipes, Im not sure if a reflash was required or performed. (Fuel injected stuff is new to me.) Ive noticed the bike feels a little hesitant right off the throttle and I get some small backfires thru the pipes on decel. Will a fuel programmer (Fuel pak, fuel moto, etc) make a substantial difference? (By substantial I mean will I gain immediate throttle response at low speed/ low RPM and will the backfiring stop?

PS- Im not looking for power gains. I just want a littler more response.....As I stated, this is my first fuel injected HD, I know that in 06 they (FI) were still fairly new and Im used to a well tuned, very snappy 2001 XL1200C. Maybe its just the nature of the beast?

Old 11-15-2018, 12:31 AM
08police
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Is it delphi or the magnetti morelli. My understanding there isn't really anything you can do with that system. If it is delphi then hands down go with the dynojet powervision.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:53 AM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by internet troll
Good evening gents. Im the new owner of a 06 Electra glide. Bike has SE air cleaner and SE pipes, Im not sure if a reflash was required or performed. (Fuel injected stuff is new to me.) Ive noticed the bike feels a little hesitant right off the throttle and I get some small backfires thru the pipes on decel. Will a fuel programmer (Fuel pak, fuel moto, etc) make a substantial difference? (By substantial I mean will I gain immediate throttle response at low speed/ low RPM and will the backfiring stop?

PS- Im not looking for power gains. I just want a littler more response.....As I stated, this is my first fuel injected HD, I know that in 06 they (FI) were still fairly new and Im used to a well tuned, very snappy 2001 XL1200C. Maybe its just the nature of the beast?
If you're having issues, yes.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Is there a dealer or indy close enough to get an ESTIMATE for a retune and compare that to the price of the add on fuel programmer? How many miles? Have you tried a fuel injector cleaner first? $5 to $10 for a can of fuel system cleaner is a cheap experiment to see if that helps first.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 AM
internet troll
Road Master

My local dealer is only 5 miles away. I actually worked there as a service writer (well over a decade ago). The bike only has 15,000 miles on it and was well kept. I wont rule out injector cleaner, but I feel most over the counter stuff is just snake oil. Is there a decent injector cleaner on the market?
I pulled one of the plugs last night, it looked fine. I know small backfires are common on the older big twins that run slip on pipes, but I didnt expect it with fuel injection. It doesnt happen often, maybe once or twice a day. Just enough to make me say.....hmmmmmm

As far as throttle response, as I stated, I dont know if its normal for the early FI stuff to have a slight hesitation or not. Ill try to explain the best I can....Downshifting for example. Ive always used a quick 'double clutch' technique. As I pull the clutch in, I give it a real fast twitch of gas before I downshift to bring up the rpms. Like blink of an eye kind of quick. The electra glide just isnt that sensitive. I dont know if its the heavier bike, the EFI, the throttle cable settings (I only had the bike on the road for a week before I had to put it up for the winter so I couldnt test many variables)

So back to my original question....will a fuel management product make a noticeable difference for a bike with only a Stage 1 kit? (And yes, Ill try the injector cleaner and possibly a visit to the dealer for a reflash as well)

Old 11-15-2018, 12:06 PM
BigEd04
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it will make a very noticeable difference. I put a PC-V from Fuel Moto on an '04 RK. It had a map pre-loaded by them based on the other components installed and it was a significant boost. Then a little later I had it dyno tuned by a reputable tuner and got another noticeable boost. Now I just go straight to getting it tuned when I get a new bike.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:35 PM
internet troll
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigEd04
Yes it will make a very noticeable difference. I put a PC-V from Fuel Moto on an '04 RK. It had a map pre-loaded by them based on the other components installed and it was a significant boost. Then a little later I had it dyno tuned by a reputable tuner and got another noticeable boost. Now I just go straight to getting it tuned when I get a new bike.
Thats exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you. Guess I need to start shopping around. I want to keep this semi budget minded and because its just a stage 1, simple. I think the Power Commander will be more than I need, so its a toss between Fuel Pak and Fuel Moto. Anybody have any other recommendations?

Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

You should still take it in & see if there's been a download applied to the ECM, that will affect the map you would need, but it if has a download you may not gain much.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:53 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Nothing beats a proper tune on a Dyno from a quality operator.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:32 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Nothing beats a proper tune on a Dyno from a quality operator.
Agree entirely - even with an old carb bike!

Quick Reply: Is a fuel programmer worth it for a slightly modded 06 Electra glide?