Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Table Width ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lift Table Width ?

I am in the market for a lift table but keep running into one question regarding width. I see tables in the 24-26" range and then with extensions they are 48". I also see tables that are 48" solid, with no extensions. My question is, while actually working on the bike, are the extensions or extra width a hindrance?

I am looking to keep the cost under $1k shipped. Having said that, if it is within 500 miles the wife said she would be up for a road trip, you know to save the $2-300 for shipping. Yes, we know the trip would actually cost more than the shipping but it would be an excuse to take little road trip so it balances. Another option that might save a few shipping dollars, I need to get bosses approval first, is to ship to my work where we have fork lifts and have a coworker unload the truck onto my trailer. Seems it would save anywhere from $25-150 depending on the company.

The CEM ML1500
Aplus MT1500
Black Widow Pro Lift
Kendon KMC-1KD

Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

I have a Titan #1500 lift without extensions. When I purchased the lift I opted to build my own extensions, after doing so I found they were in the way when working on the bike. I only wanted the extensions to safely ride onto the lift, but now just push it on rather than mount and dismount extensions.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I utilize a bike lift with the extensions both in front and on the sides. I have the front extended out about 1 foot. This allows for more room behind the bike to place parts when working. The same goes for the side extensions. It's a good place to organize tools and needed parts. I only have a 2 car garage but, I leave the extensions on all the time. I purchased my lift from: https://www.cemlifts.com/ They ship out of Post Falls, Idaho. Shipping to me was less than $150.00. You're a bit farther in Colorado but, it might be worth giving them a call.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Not great pics of the lift, but you get the idea.

The following users liked this post:
jb1023 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I bought a DirectLift with side extensions. great lift, can't imagine now not having one. Couple things...

I got the side extensions so I can ride the bike up on the lift & have somewhere for my feet to go. Once on the lift, the extensions are just in the way. You have to reach over them to get to anything. THEY ARE HEAVY too... you don't just toss them around when removing. If I had to do it all over again I would have made some cheap wooden or aluminum side rails for riding the bike on, that can be easily stowed after. OTOH, one advantage of the side extensions is I can ride the bike up on the lift & park it without having to use the wheel vice.... saves garage space...

Another tip... if you think you'll ever want the side extensions order them now.... separate freight will be as much as on the lift itself. I was lucky in that the dealer for mine was local & I picked the whole thing up myself with a trailer.

Ok one more tip When you get the beast to your house, air it up after assembly.... it's a whole lot easier to move around that way than 6" off the ground.

YOU WILL NEVER BE WITHOUT ONE ONCE YOU HAVE ONE

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 01-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

If you want to work on more then just a MC the wings are nice to have, other then that the closer you can stand next to the bike the better.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:07 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

on a Handy lift for example, around here I can get diamond plate cut to size so if you don't want the full 12" extension, get some 8" diamond plate the length of your table, stick some 1 1/4" black pipe in the holes where the extensions mount to the table then run a piece of angle down the length of the diamond plate. Some square tubing can be used to slip over the round pipe, weld that to the angle and to the diamond plate. About a 1/3 of the cost of the extensions and a whole lot less weight if you're going to take them on and off.

The following users liked this post:
jb1023 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 AM
jb1023
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 6113_
on a Handy lift for example, around here I can get diamond plate cut to size so if you don't want the full 12" extension, get some 8" diamond plate the length of your table, stick some 1 1/4" black pipe in the holes where the extensions mount to the table then run a piece of angle down the length of the diamond plate. Some square tubing can be used to slip over the round pipe, weld that to the angle and to the diamond plate. About a 1/3 of the cost of the extensions and a whole lot less weight if you're going to take them on and off.
This is what I was thinking as well. Less weight and cost is a good thing. I also saw someone post in another thread that they just have 6x6 boards lying next to the lift so they can ride the bike up and then just slide the boards under the lift so they are out of the way. Seems like an even cheaper method but I like the diamond plate idea better.

Last edited by jb1023; 01-06-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 AM
jb1023
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
I utilize a bike lift with the extensions both in front and on the sides. I have the front extended out about 1 foot. This allows for more room behind the bike to place parts when working. The same goes for the side extensions. It's a good place to organize tools and needed parts. I only have a 2 car garage but, I leave the extensions on all the time. I purchased my lift from: https://www.cemlifts.com/ They ship out of Post Falls, Idaho. Shipping to me was less than $150.00. You're a bit farther in Colorado but, it might be worth giving them a call.

This is one of the links I posted. They don't seem to offer it in orange anymore though, only blue or lime green. Probably the way I am leaning as it comes with the center jack as well.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,125 Posts

[QUOTE=ROCKOUT Rocker Products;17939810]I bought a DirectLift with side extensions. great lift, can't imagine now not having one.

Ok one more tip When you get the beast to your house, air it up after assembly.... it's a whole lot easier to move around that way than 6" off the ground.

I have the direct lift with the side extensions also, you mentioned moving it around in the upright position? mine came with a two wheeled dolly for moving it around the shop and it works great! didn't yours come with one I am pretty sure it was supposed to? I don't currently have a photo of it but I can take one if you want to see what it looks like

with extensions

without extensions

Quick Reply: Lift Table Width ?