Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAGGAH2-2002 Road King Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:13 PM
BAGGAH2
Advanced
Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick80
Great job on the King. Can't wait for more pics
Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
Very well documented restore and mod thread. It’s great to see your enthusiasm with this project. I will definitely follow this thread.

Thanks guys! Unfortunately progress is slow at times, most of my time is taken up at school. Plus I kinda like doing a little at a time, riding it, seeing what else I don’t like, and then working on that. Keeps things interesting.

The following users liked this post:
tjconnection (04-10-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

good looking bike. you have done a lot of nice work there. You should be very proud. The gentleman that gave it to you obviously thinks a lot of you. congratulations. see you in myrtle beach in may.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:37 PM
BAGGAH2
Advanced

I realized I forgot to add a few photos of the handlebar mock up. They already feel much more comfortable than my previous bars. I’m liking the flat hand position so far. (Yes, my garage is a disaster)

Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Great Job, it makes me think of my Road King Classi.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:01 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

welcome to the forum neighbor. new at first that bike was gonna look good with some real TLC . good job. spent a few $ too. like the man said see you in Myrtle Beach.
kroozeabout.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:32 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,666 Likes on 2,676 Posts

You've done a great job with that old bike. My first Harley was a 2002 Road King Classic and a lot of the changes you've made are the same ones I've gone through in the past. It was a nice walk down memory lane.

Has the old owner seen the bike since you started working on it? I'd like to hear about you keeping him in the loop and up to speed on the progress. I'm sure it would fill his heart in a way that riding no longer can.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

IIRC, back in those days the swap from factory King bars to the Heritage bars was pretty common.

That was a good read. You have made a very nice bike for yourself.
What type of paint did you use to fill in the derby, inspection and ignition covers with? Any special prep to the chrome before painting it?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 AM
BAGGAH2
Advanced

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
You've done a great job with that old bike. My first Harley was a 2002 Road King Classic and a lot of the changes you've made are the same ones I've gone through in the past. It was a nice walk down memory lane.

Has the old owner seen the bike since you started working on it? I'd like to hear about you keeping him in the loop and up to speed on the progress. I'm sure it would fill his heart in a way that riding no longer can.
Oh absolutely. He is a family friend, we stay in touch. He loves seeing the bike, and told me "make it your own" whenever he gave it to me. I think he enjoys living vicariously seeing me ride and work on the bike.

Originally Posted by Cazador
IIRC, back in those days the swap from factory King bars to the Heritage bars was pretty common.

That was a good read. You have made a very nice bike for yourself.
What type of paint did you use to fill in the derby, inspection and ignition covers with? Any special prep to the chrome before painting it?
I did look into heritage bars, and even sat on a few. I wasn't sure that I would be a fan of how the grips were at an angle.

I just used testors hobby paint, brush application, and let it dry for a few days before installing. The chrome wasn't really smooth from the factory, it has sort of a textured look, so I didn't bother scuffing it before applying the paint. Its holding up great so far.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...el-Paint/p/980

The following 2 users liked this post by BAGGAH2:
Cazador (02-05-2019), Yee Hog (05-11-2020)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 AM
BAGGAH2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Great Job, it makes me think of my Road King Classi.
Originally Posted by t. sawyer
welcome to the forum neighbor. new at first that bike was gonna look good with some real TLC . good job. spent a few $ too. like the man said see you in Myrtle Beach.
kroozeabout.
Thanks!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 PM
BAGGAH2
Advanced

A little update here. I got the risers on for the last time. Ran the wires through the new handlebars and started putting it all back together. No unexpected issues so far! Stock cables look like they will work, so I got a set of barnett black vinyl cables. I think the black will work with my black accents. Also I'm not really a fan of how stainless lines yellow and look crappy after awhile. I also ordered a new set of front brake lines, the correct master cylinder for 1.25" bars, and a throttle grip extension to put TBW bars on a cable throttle bike. Its coming together! I'm hoping to have it all finished by the first week in march.

Quick Reply: BAGGAH2-2002 Road King Project Thread