Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'15 SG Doesn't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:36 AM
KonradL
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '15 SG Doesn't Crank

Hi everyone - I picked up a 2015 FLHXS after an accident. It was the only way I could afford one unfortunately at this time after having an 08 a few years back, but it needs a bit of work on right side. It was listed as a no start. The air cleaner got hit, cracking and breaking the throttle body, among cosmetics.
So I got it home last night and started tinkering with it in the 0 degree temps for a few hours with no luck.
When I turn the ignition all lights light up, fuel pump goes on, but when I hit the start button nothing happens - the lights don't dim, I don't hear a relay click, or starter even move. I checked the fuses-relay on the left side (I didn't see any for starter). Other funny things, maybe related, maybe not, is that the radio is on, but no sound comes out of it. Does the battery need full charge for sound to come out, or for starter to even click? The headlight is on normal, I figured it would at least click, but nothing.
Any advice is appreciated - thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Get a new AGM battery and a Harley or Bell small cube maintenance charger.

Install it and add the external leads for the charger.

Charge it 24 hours. Then try starter button.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 AM
oasis856
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A fully charged battery would help.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:08 AM
KonradL
Advanced

Ok, I will definitely give that a shot when I get home. I figured since the volt meter was showing good, it would at least click, have radio sound, or the lights would dim when I hit start (especially if the battery wasn't fully charged). The fact that it didn't do any of it made me question other things. But maybe it's all or nothing with the newer models.

Last edited by KonradL; 02-01-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

12.8 is good at battery with a good meter. 12.2 is a dead battery.
what did you get with a test meter?

Not sure if modern Harleys do but lot of higher end cars will not attempt to crank at a certain voltage and the headlights will still be bright.
It does take about a 1/2 charged battery to be able for the soliniod magnet to throw in starter gear and hit the heavy contact for starter.
Just below that however, you should here the small contact in relay in fuse box that cuts on soliniod make a little click.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-01-2019 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KonradL (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 AM
KonradL
Advanced

I did not test with meter yet - I will do that when I get home too. Thanks. Again, I would think even more so with a dead battery, once I hit the start button, the lights would dim and I'd hear a click.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

KonradL congrats on the new bike, I'd like to see some pictures. I rebuilt 2 Limiteds that had been totaled and Kim rode one of them for a couple years.

CAN BUS sends signals from control modules to the BCM to turn on Fuel Pump and enable the starter. Security can be ruled out as well as the Run Stop button since the fuel pump comes on. Are you getting 12V on the solenoid wire when you push the start button, this wire comes directly from the BCM now? Check for codes and see if you get a lead.
I bet you've tried with clutch in and out.

On another line if you haven't already, change the PIN to a number you remember before it becomes a problem

Here's a pic of mine after I tore it down, forks were bent - every painted piece was replaced.. Another pic of the finished bike.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 AM
KonradL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vernal
KonradL congrats on the new bike, I'd like to see some pictures. I rebuilt 2 Limiteds that had been totaled and Kim rode one of them for a couple years.
CAN BUS sends signals from control modules to the BCM to turn on Fuel Pump and enable the starter. Security can be ruled out as well as the Run Stop button since the fuel pump comes on. Are you getting 12V on the solenoid wire when you push the start button, this wire comes directly from the BCM now? Check for codes and see if you get a lead.
I bet you've tried with clutch in and out.
On another line if you haven't already, change the PIN to a number you remember before it becomes a problem
Here's a pic of mine after I tore it down, forks were bent - every painted piece was replaced.. Another pic of the finished bike.
Vernal - that is a hell of rebuild - great job. Can't tell it even hit a fly. The before and after definitely put it into context.
Thanks for the tip - I will check the reading on the solenoid with the start button pressed. Do you know if these bikes even have starter relays anymore, or just the signal is sent straight from the BCM?
I wasn't aware of any PINs, but I'll do some research on those. I'm assuming it's some sort of security, which should be enabled since the fuel pump kicked on.
I will try to post some pictures if I can figure out how. I appreciate the advice.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM
KonradL
Advanced
Old 02-01-2019, 09:17 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

What about the lean angle/tip over system? I know when I dropped my bike it kicked in and shut the bike off. Maybe yours was activated and did not reset, jus sayin.

Quick Reply: '15 SG Doesn't Crank