Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

elctra glide vs cheiftan

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Back in 14 when I purchased my Road Glide I really thought about Indian. The Harley dealer actually had an Indian dealership as well next door. Price was similar but there where always a few things that caused me to hesitate.

The main things where at Sturgis I rode a brand new Roadmaster. I loved the engine, the sound and the power compared to my 99 Ultra at the time. What I didn't love was the powered windshield was to low, and the fairing squeaked and rattle loudly during the test ride. I pointed this out when I got back about the noise and I was told it was a brand new bike and there was no way it made that noise. After pushing the issue the tech rode it and came back and tagged the bike due to an issue with the fairing. Then we get to the biggest issue I see with Indian. Is that everything feels like an afterthought. Maybe they have gotten better in the last few years but the audio was just an additional widget bolted to the handlebars. It seemed like if there was an optional feature it included just an extra widget stuck to the bike.

At the price they are asking for these they need to have a similar fit and finish to HD. I think Harley still has a great fit and finish, and some of the best aftermarket support around.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 PM
scljrl
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frogprince

At the price they are asking for these they need to have a similar fit and finish to HD. I think Harley still has a great fit and finish, and some of the best aftermarket support around.
...+1

Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
I was in Daytona at the Indian dealership, and was offered a test ride of the new cheiftan , I have been seeing a lot of them on the trip and decided to see what it was like. we did not have to ride with a group just jump on and go for a ride. Initially sitting on it, it fit well, I liked the bars , seat was comfortable . I rode the 116 version and my buddy rode the 111. Throttle was very touchy and 1st gear is very low. I started to get use to that about half way around the square route we rode. my wife doesn't like how hard the Electra glide hits bumps, I thought the Cheiftan would ride smoother. I was wrong first good bump I hit, it jarred my back. The Indian reminds me of a metric cruiser.. I know the indian was not dialed in for my riding preferences. but I will keep my 2000 Electra glide over a 2019 Indian.
Have you ridden the m8 yet? Not much different than a metric either. The Indians are nice bikes but the fit/finish, aftermarket support, and dealer support are horrible. Harley is a much better bike. The m8 and metric feel is here to stay and will be the future of riding so I jumped aboard and bought an 18 road glide special and love it but sometimes I miss the character of the twin cam and especially the sound.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 623 Likes on 453 Posts

The Indians and Victorys all look to me as though they were designed in Toon Town. The Harleys just look like motorcycles. Have never tried either of the competitors.