Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay luggage rack experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts
Default eBay luggage rack experiences?

Anybody buy one of the eBay luggage racks for the Tour Pack Lid? Seems like the prices are from $38 up to Harley Rack prices.

I'm not sure there is a $150 quality delta, but I could be wrong.... I really like the Kuryakyn probably the best and they are @ $140

Old 05-12-2019, 01:14 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I got one from amazon for less than $100. The plastic pieces didn't fit well and it rattled like crazy. I ended up getting rid of it and found a used Harley rack. YMMV

The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:22 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Hit and miss with this. I got my first on Amazon from a vendor that is still selling, others had good experience but mine was poorly chromed so I returned. Bought another from vendor TCMT who sells alot of aftermarket things and it was good quality. I think many vendors on ebay are same ones on Amazon and vise versa.

Circa58 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Circa58
Club Member

I just bought a TCMT.. Solo Detachable Tour Pack mount and had to grind the rear latch metal arez at the 1:00-4:00 position, in order to get it to fit, but other than that, the quality was decent.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:28 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought one of the cheap eBay ones. My bike had holes already in the lid and the previous owner had removed the rack. The rack I received from eBay did not line up with the existing holes in the tour pack lid and the rack legs were crooked. I sent it back and ordered a HD rack from Boardtracker and it fit perfectly. I think it was $114 shipped.
I will say that the eBay rack looked identical to the Harley rack and was heavier than the Harley rack. It seemed to be built well except for the legs being slightly crooked but just didn't fit my holes (very close but off just enough).

Circa58 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Circa58
Anybody buy one of the eBay luggage racks for the Tour Pack Lid? Seems like the prices are from $38 up to Harley Rack prices.

I'm not sure there is a $150 quality delta, but I could be wrong.... I really like the Kuryakyn probably the best and they are @ $140
The cheap Ebay racks look and work fine. Once on, nobody will know what kind of rack you have. One issue to note with the Ebay Tour Paks is that the center of the rack may be appreciably different from the mid-point distance between the mounting screws. If you measure your mount points by the screws, the Tour Pak may be visibly eccentric. Mount the rack by appearance, not measurement. Liberally put masking tape where the holes are likely to be, or could possibly be drilled. Jack the bike up so it's not leaning, and position the rack. Check your test position from all angles. When you're absolutely convinced the rack looks centered, mark the masking tape with post outlines.

Once you've marked the circles on your masking tape for the posts, lift the rack off the bike, and put steel hanger bolts in the mounting threads, with the pointy end sticking down (1). The hanger bolts should be small and loose enough that they slide in and out of the mounting hole without threading, though not so loose they don't remain centered. Invert the rack with the hanger bolts in, and place on the masking tape. When you're confident you have the rack where you want it, give a little pressure to the rack, and the hanger bolts will make nice little pilot marks in the masking tape. Drill into that pilot hole first with a very small bit to go all the way through the plastic, then expand the hole to the desired size with a larger bit.

Use thin nylon washers, possibly called spacers at your hardware store, between the rack and the tour pak lid.

(1) You could also cut the heads off four thin wood screws, but this method is easier.

Steel Hanger Bolt

Last edited by Haarley; 05-12-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Circa58 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:37 AM
Circa58
Club Member

Originally Posted by Haarley
The cheap Ebay racks look and work fine. Once on, nobody will know what kind of rack you have. One issue to note with the Ebay Tour Paks is that the center of the rack may be appreciably different from the mid-point distance between the mounting screws. If you measure your mount points by the screws, the Tour Pak may be visibly eccentric. Mount the rack by appearance, not measurement. Liberally put masking tape where the holes are likely to be, or could possibly be drilled. Jack the bike up so it's not leaning, and position the rack. Check your test position from all angles. When you're absolutely convinced the rack looks centered, mark the masking tape with post outlines.

Once you've marked the circles on your masking tape for the posts, lift the rack off the bike, and put steel hanger bolts in the mounting threads, with the pointy end sticking down (1). The hanger bolts should be small and loose enough that they slide in and out of the mounting hole without threading, though not so loose they don't remain centered. Invert the rack with the hanger bolts in, and place on the masking tape. When you're confident you have the rack where you want it, give a little pressure to the rack, and the hanger bolts will make nice little pilot marks in the masking tape. Drill into that pilot hole first with a very small bit to go all the way through the plastic, then expand the hole to the desired size with a larger bit.

Use thin nylon washers, possibly called spacers at your hardware store, between the rack and the tour pak lid.

(1) You could also cut the heads off four thin wood screws, but this method is easier.

Steel Hanger Bolt
Many thanks for the write up, being in the machine shop world for a few decades, I have several sets of Transfer Screws, they do the same thing

Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I bought advan black luggage rack & mounted on a new HD chopped tour pak.The rack mounted perfectly on the tour pak.

Circa58 (05-13-2019)