Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Actuator Trouble Codes - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Throttle Actuator Trouble Codes - Help Please

2012 FLHTCU
52,000 miles
Stage 2 with PCV

Been having a bit of strange idling as of late - more noticeable when the bike is cold. It will fluctuate between 850 and 1000 RPM while idling once the engine speed drops from initial startup. Also, sitting at a stop and in 1st gear it seems like it takes more throttle to get going that normal - like it wants to lug unless I blip the throttle and get the RPMs up.

Today I pulled the air filter off and cleaned off the TMAP sensor inside the throttle body hoping that would help. No luck. Just returned from a 50 mile "test ride" and realized I have the PCV that I can look at codes with!! (The ride came in handy - gave me a chance to think about next steps!). Anyway, pulled the codes and found a P1511 and P2101 as shown in the picture.

A little research tells me it might have something to do with the TPS connection. Thoughts on that? Is the other pic the TPS connector? My service manual calls the device that connector plugs into a Throttle Control Actuator.

Any info would be great. Want to get this diagnosed and corrected because I leave soon on a bike trip from WI to CA. I don't need this acting up while I'm on the road.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Actuator Trouble Codes - Help Please-photo400.jpg   Throttle Actuator Trouble Codes - Help Please-photo772.jpg  
Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

the grip twist sensor in the bars plugs into a wire harness in the bars by the grip an then that one plugs into another connector in the fairing. I think I have a bad connection in the fairing since I relocated the connector to add an amp an replaced the bars so I removed an reconnected the connector. if I turn the bars to lock going left when parking it will trip the light. From everything I read the grip sensor had a "green plug" in the bars that deteriorates over time vibrating in the bars. I also hear it's rare for the grip sensor to fail just the connector goes bad so a lot of guys pull the sensor an hard wire the it to the harness.

There are 6 wires to connect, 2 sets of three but they are the same color just the wrap is different so watch that if you do it.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,998 Likes on 1,998 Posts

Pull that plug in the picture and clean the pins ,both male and female, with alcohol. Then put some dielectric gease in there. You should check the last few inches of those wires for any breaks or fraying too. If those wires check out ok I'd wrap the hell out of them with some electrical tape to try and eliminate some of the stress on the wires from that stupid sharp turn. Sad part is if the tps goes bad HD expects you to buy a whole new throttle body. That tps actually comes off with those metal clips so if you find a used throttle body for sale they can be swapped. Just an fyi you can pull codes using just your bike...the whole procedure and the description of the codes is,on the fuelmoto site...probably elsewhere too but that's where I go.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:21 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Pull that plug in the picture and clean the pins ,both male and female, with alcohol. Then put some dielectric gease in there. You should check the last few inches of those wires for any breaks or fraying too. If those wires check out ok I'd wrap the hell out of them with some electrical tape to try and eliminate some of the stress on the wires from that stupid sharp turn. Sad part is if the tps goes bad HD expects you to buy a whole new throttle body. That tps actually comes off with those metal clips so if you find a used throttle body for sale they can be swapped. Just an fyi you can pull codes using just your bike...the whole procedure and the description of the codes is,on the fuelmoto site...probably elsewhere too but that's where I go.
Thanks Beagle! I'll give this a shot tomorrow. My question is, do I clear the codes prior to this maintenance or afterwards? I'm not sure if it will make a difference but figured I better ask.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:49 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I would clear all the codes first. My connector on my 09 had to be mucked with a couple of times. Mine went into full limp mode when it did it though. easy enough to try though.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 AM
chief1600
Road Master

Cleared the codes this morning and pulled the connector to the TCA. Cleaned everything up the best I could with alcohol, checked the wires and taped them up good. Reassembled and started it up. Same issue but the codes haven't come back yet. RPMs jump around a couple hundred either direction. Once it gets warmed up it almost sounds like it misses every once in a while. Kind of stutters a bit but keeps on going. Give it some throttle and hold it there and it purrs like a kitten. Now what?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:14 AM
chief1600
Road Master

So, I found this based on reading my service manual... the picture is of the purge tube fitting on top of the intake. Should there be a rubber cap on it?? If I start the bike and put my finger over it the bike stumbles like it's going to quit and then recovers and seems to run OK without the RPMs jumping around as much.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Actuator Trouble Codes - Help Please-photo369.jpg  
Old 08-24-2021, 11:27 PM
Ozilay
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley davidson pre-wired throttle body 6 pin control actuator connector plug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224498949405

HARLEY DAVIDSON PRE-WIRED THROTTLE BODY 6 PIN CONTROL ACTUATOR CONNECTOR PLUG

Throttle by wire Throttle Body 6 Pin Connector

THIS PRODUCT FITSHARLEY DAVIDSONElectra Glide Classic FLHTC/I 2008-2013Electra Glide Standard FLHT/I 2008, 2009Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCU/I 2008-2016Road King Classic FLHRC/I 2008-2013Road King FLHR/I 2008-2016

6-Position Female Throttle Control Actuator Connector - NM-33471-0601

SKU: NM-33471-0601Categories: American Electrical Connectors, American Motorcycle Connectors and Terminals, Molex MX-150 Series Connectors, MX-150 Female ConnectorsTags: 72483-08BK, NM-33471-0601

Old 08-25-2021, 04:47 AM
Stickman53
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chief1600
So, I found this based on reading my service manual... the picture is of the purge tube fitting on top of the intake. Should there be a rubber cap on it?? If I start the bike and put my finger over it the bike stumbles like it's going to quit and then recovers and seems to run OK without the RPMs jumping around as much.
There is most definitely supposed to be a rubber cap over that tube fitting. If yours is missing the rubber cap the engine won't run right.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:53 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,500 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by O
[color=#494949
SKU: NM-33471-0601[/color]Categories: American Electrical Connectors, American Motorcycle Connectors and Terminals, Molex MX-150 Series Connectors, MX-150 Female ConnectorsTags: 72483-08BK, NM-33471-0601
/////snip

It's been 2 years... I hope he hasn't been waiting for your reply.

Quick Reply: Throttle Actuator Trouble Codes - Help Please