Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers back rest

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:11 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Drivers back rest

So debating on a drivers back rest. Is the adjustable really that much better than the fixed?
My concern is getting on and off the bike.
My buddy had one years ago and said it was a waste of money. I would like to hear you what you guys have to say.
Thanks Tim

Last edited by Tarkus60; 06-24-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,819 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I bought the HD adjustable for my '16 FLHTK and to be honest, the less expensive HD fixed one is a better buy, IMO. I just don't use the adjustable feature. But yes, back rests make long distance riding less tiring. Instead of using your core muscles, you can rest your torso against the back rest. I fabbed one up from a Kawi Vulcan for use on my '99 Honda cruiser.
And you do have to swing your leg up higher when it's installed. I mount the bike like a horse. I put my left foot on the floorboard and step over the bike. And the reverse to dismount. (29" inseam)

And it's quickly removable for in town cruising.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Let me add this as I have the adjustable and never owned the fixed. I can adjust my backrest up or down some to help with my wife’s comfort. Raising it allows more room for her legs. I like it in the low position but that is less room for her legs.

The adjustable version also folds forward on a spring to help get your leg over but I find it does not help much. I sometimes mount from the right and slide my leg through instead of over or step on the floor board from the right side. Good luck.

FYI.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

i have one and its the best thing i got free from my neighbor lol. I dont like that it moves me forward and inch or so but it still comfy as hell

Old 06-24-2019, 08:23 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Mustang Wide Solo with the backrest. It is not adjustable but I put the offset stem on it to move it back a couple of inches. Folding it down when you dismount becomes natural (especially after you forget a couple of times ) The backrest really makes longer rides much more comfortable...

Old 06-24-2019, 08:42 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

I have had some back problems for years. Bulging/herniated discs. If I aggravate my back by doing any heavy lifting or other things I may not ride very comfortable for awhile. But, assuming I haven't overdone anything recently, riding doesn't seem to bother my back even on long trips. But I recently put a non adjustable backrest on my RGU. Wow! What a difference the backrest made. I really didn't know what I was missing. Much much better with the backrest. The ONLY reason I might remove the backrest and stow it in the Tour Pak would be to give a passenger more room.

And I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices for a HD backrest and mounting kit/bracket. Those people are nuts! I ordered a Grasshopper brand backrest. Grasshopper sells their backrest WITH their mounting bracket for HD touring bikes for $85 and a few bucks shipping. But...., I bought the same Grasshopper backrest and mounting bracket from Amazon for $75 plus $11 shipping. And buying from Amazon, I knew if I didn't like it for any reason at all it would be easy to return to Amazon, don't know how Grasshopper would react if I just told them I didn't like it and wanted my money back.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,165 Posts

In my opinion, have the adjustable rider backrest changes everything when riding long distances.

The following users liked this post:
leftyjm (08-23-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 AM
Schulzy
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If you try one..... you'll never go without it again.

After 3 back surgeries, it makes all the difference for long hauls.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,819 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
i have one and its the best thing i got free from my neighbor lol. I dont like that it moves me forward and inch or so but it still comfy as hell
Just an idea.... take and bend the backrest bar. Heat & possibly some black touchup paint required.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:06 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
So debating on a drivers back rest. Is the adjustable really that much better than the fixed?
My concern is getting on and off the bike.
My buddy had one years ago and said it was a waste of money. I would like to hear you what you guys have to say.
Thanks Tim
I believe the problem you are going to find, few people (if any) have both backrests for comparison purposes. If you bought the adjustable [or vice versa], why would you go and also buy the other one - unless the first was so uncomfortable you decided to switch. I have the fixed - 1) it helps on long rides, 2) I felt the adjustable was unnecessary because once I found the most comfortable position, that's where I would have left it [much like my car seat], 3) installation of the fixed was significantly easier [as I recall] compared to the adjustable.

Quick Reply: Drivers back rest