Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPA Nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:35 AM
RMC56
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPA Nonsense

I'm sure this has been talked about at length, but here goes. Just traded my '13 Street glide in for a '19 Road Glide special. If you don't go with the parts that are in the Harley catalog, specifically new headers and mufflers, has anyone run into any warranty issues? I want to put on V&H power duals and Rinehart 4.5's, like I had on my street glide but I don't want to screw with parts of my warranty. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RMC56; 07-03-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: re-wording.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:05 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Warranty is Harley, not EPA. Nonsense generally is dealers disregarding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Again, not EPA.

That said, modifications can indeed void parts of your warranty, even with oem parts. Read the terms of your warranty. If you're truly worried about voiding sections of your warranty, leave it stock until the warranty runs out.

The following 2 users liked this post by foxtrapper:
JustDave13 (07-05-2019), Slowpoke62 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Talk to your service manager. Mine told me "Your'e good to go".
Had my performance upgrades done at 1K miles, all is well.
He did say another dealer may play by different rules, for that I can't say, but here you are good.
And, all has been well.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Warranty is Harley, not EPA. Nonsense generally is dealers disregarding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Again, not EPA.

That said, modifications can indeed void parts of your warranty, even with oem parts. Read the terms of your warranty. If you're truly worried about voiding sections of your warranty, leave it stock until the warranty runs out.
Just want to slightly disagree. The H-D warranty was/is the only thing EPA had to hold over H-D ‘s head from an enforcement standpoint. EPA was not willing to accept HDs settlement unless there was someway to “guarantee” that bikes wouldn’t be immediately modified by customers and essentially undo all that EPA was trying to accomplish.

To discourage customer modifications, epa requires that H-D void all warranties if modifications allow a bike to operate outside emissions profiles agreed to by EPA and H-D.

The Magnuson-Moss warranty was likely superseded by the consent decree between H-D and EPA. Yes, H-D voids the warranties, but EPA demands it.

The following 2 users liked this post by cmhdwg09:
southerncannuck (07-06-2019), Vernal (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

the magnusson moss warranty act has naught to do with adding 'performance' parts to your harley and everything to do with using aftermarket equivalent to factory.

The following 7 users liked this post by skratch:
Br125 (07-08-2019), hattitude (07-03-2019), Kermie (07-05-2019), RollaMo (07-03-2019), rubberfrog (07-06-2019), Scudda (07-03-2019), Uncle Larry (07-03-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 1,599 Posts

I wish folks would stop confusing MM act and EPA forcing HD to void warranties. Read the laws and EPA guidance ( found here: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/cons...arley-davidson )to see what actually happens, and why.
MM warranty act states if you have a warranty, it must be in writing, clearly specifying what is covered, and how long. It restricts dealers from requiring "manufacturers brand" service parts to keep warranty intact, unless provided by the manufacturer for no charge. It does NOT cover customer requested modifications to any product/vehicle.

The following 5 users liked this post by rigidthumper:
Br125 (07-08-2019), e6fmf (07-03-2019), hattitude (07-03-2019), RollaMo (07-03-2019), Scudda (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

Plenty of posts on this but here you go

The only parts that will not void your warranty when changing performance parts are harley's own parts for the most part. It is not up to the dealer on if they will cover a warranty repair. If your dealer tells you you can do what ever you want to the bike and they will cover it under warranty..that is the dealer eating the warranty cost. If you took your bike to another dealer I would bet they would not cover it under warranty.

Harley has had to clamp down on the warranty issue due to their agreement with the EPA in 2017. basically they agreed to void the power-train warranty of any bike that was tuned with ANY tuner other then the Screaming Eagle tuner or had aftermarket non HD performance and EPA approved parts installed

There are some after market companies that are making EPA approved parts that will not void the warranty...an example is the S&S softail mufflers. These still have cats in them and they are EPA approved.

If you look at most aftermarket performance parts they are marked " For Off road Use only"

I never understood how people could think they can do whatever they want to a brand new bike and if something goes wrong that the manufacturer will still cover it under warranty...besides it has really been illegal for over 40 years to change out any emissions related part with a non EPA approved part.

With all that being said I modified my bike but I got it used and it had no warranty.

If I was buying a new bike, If I wanted to keep in under warranty as long as I could I would go with Harley parts but if my plan was to really modify it I would try and wait the 2 years until the warranty was over

The following 2 users liked this post by Scudda:
mctraveler (07-04-2019), southerncannuck (07-06-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:08 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,165 Likes on 3,521 Posts

LOL...2019 and this still is worthy of bitching about? My advice is to trade down to an older model that is exempt from EPA decree, or risk it like the rest of us. Of course, those bikes don't come with warranty, so there's that.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by RMC56
I'm sure this has been talked about at length, but here goes. Just traded my '13 Street glide in for a '19 Road Glide special. If you don't go with the parts that are in the Harley catalog, specifically new headers and mufflers, has anyone run into any warranty issues? I want to put on V&H power duals and Rinehart 4.5's, like I had on my street glide but I don't want to screw with parts of my warranty. Thanks in advance.
You should have came here before you traded bikes, cause now you are screwed

Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

The fly in this ointment is that, as mentioned, the warranty is from the Harley Davidson Motor Company...... NOT the dealer. A good dealer is just the go between and applies to the MoCo for warranty repair reimbursements.

Sadly, I have read about MANY dealers saying things like, "That's not a problem", etc, etc, etc...

Why would a dealer lie....!?!? To make money and make a sale of course.....

I suggest before anyone buys a new bike, ask the dealer about any mods you want to make before the warranty runs out. If the dealer says something that contradicts the written MoCo warranty (which you should read, especially the "Exclusions" and "Other Limitations" sections), have them put it in writing on your purchase order.... then watch them start dancing....!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-03-2019)

Quick Reply: EPA Nonsense