Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police puck conversion..Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 PM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police puck conversion..Need help!!!

I have a FLHTPI and the previous owner took the factory pucks off and installed Southco pop-up latches.The darn plastic things keep brakeing!He had to drill the top of the bag to 1.25" to fit these latches.Can or will I be able to put the factory police pucks back on w/out them leaking too bad?Or can someone steer me somewhere to find a metal latch that will hold up to all the vibration.All help would be greatly appreciated as I'm about to pull my hair out having to replace these pos all the time.And yes, I have them adjusted as not to be in to much of a bind.Thanks to all that respond!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Police puck conversion..Need help!!!

I have had those same Southco latches on my bike for 40K miles and it isn't the vibration that's breaking them. More than likely they break because the metal bracket bolted to the bottom of the bag hits the bottom of the latch when the lid is dropped shut. Or, they break because the bag isfully loaded and the cylinder housing of the latch is put underheavy pressureand compressed by the bag's contents with the lid closed.

As for reinstalling the original hockey pucks,get four rivets (two per side) from the HD dealer, rivet the bracket that mounts inside the lid, seal the excess of the enlarged hole--the stock OEM opening is 1" so you are sealing 1/4" diameter, and the bracket willshow what needs filling--using RTV silicone. The hockey puck mechanism relies on the bracket that is riveted to the lid for its stability, so the enlarged hole shouldn't effect the closure mechanism.

Achrome-plated diecast zinc alternative flush mounted latch is available that has a one-inch cylinder and collar thatis 1.30" in diameter--perhaps barely enough to cover the enlarged hole you now have. It is a different design than the ones you currently have; for example, the bottom of the latch is thicker and far less susceptible to breakage from compression with bag contents.

But vibration had nothing to do with any breakage of the latches you now have. Those latches are used in a variety of marine applications so they get plenty of vibration and shock in that application.

Hope this helps you with your problem. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:56 AM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harleypingman,
Thanks for the info.Would you happen to have any web addresses where I could find the die cast latches?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I will send you a PM with information.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 AM
sunnenman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Harleypingman,
can you send me the same info on the latches. Also where to order. Thanks
sunnenman
sunnenman@yahoo.com

Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The two versions of chrome pushbutton latches are from Southco, the same supplier of the hockey puck latch mechanism that HD uses.

I use Southco latch part no. M1-2A-13-1. It uses ABS for the latch button and flange. It requires a 1.25" diameter hole in the saddlebag lid to install, so the stock hole must be enlarged slightly (the stock hole is 1" in diameter) for installation.

A newer latch from Southco is MP05-312-11. It uses chrome die-cast zinc for the pushbutton and flange; uses a 1.00" barrel so little or no enlarging of the stock hole in the lid is necessary. Both use a plastic threaded barrel for the mechanism that attaches with a large plastic nut on the inside of the lid. The threaded barrels are not only different in diameter, but also in how the latch is mounted inside the latch.

Both latch mechanisms are longer than the OEM hockey puck mechanism so the bracket attached to the bottom of the bag must be lowered to use either replacement latch.

You can see both latches at southco.com. The website also provides drawings and technical information on both latches. You can also see and buy the die-cast version at squadfitters.com, a police motorcycle equipment supplier. I purchased my latch and the numerous ones I have sold on Ebay from Southco distributor Hardware Specialty Co., Inc--phone 770-449-3000. I have heard of one guy buying a pair of latches directly from Southco but I haven't tried this.

As for the installation instructions, I switched computers and haven't put the installation instructions for the ABS version on my current computer yet. I'll try to send the instructions to you in the next day or two. If I don't, send me a PM to remind me.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
sunnenman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the great info.
sunnenman

Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent information Pingman!!! I'll have to check into this latch, as I like the chrome version too.

I have a set of latches that are made of ABS plastic, but I've had no probelems with mine whatsoever after 17,000 miles. These were only $42 (including S/H). They were very easy to install, with only minor dremmel work needed for a tight fit through the existing holes left by the puck bracket. They also came with the caps to fill the rivet holes as well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42227/D2478F6D6B4F4797AA0DCEA2D962C209.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I have over 20K miles on my ABS latches without problems, but I am carefulto avoidputting pressure on the bottom of the latch mechanismswith bag contents.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
BigWheelBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this out.

http://www.squadfitters.com/node/886

Quick Reply: Police puck conversion..Need help!!!