Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooking up accessories directly

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Hooking up accessories directly

ORIGINAL: SFarace20

Thanks Texas!! I did use it and it worked perfectly. I made it part of the line and it worked. I read several posts where they said they just hooked it up directly... I can't figure it out... they must have12v receivers, I guess. My next project it to hook upa GPS to the ACC switch connection under the seat. I noticed that the connection (under the seat) has 4 wires and the power out of the GPS only has 2 (cigarette lighter power)... any ideas. I have purchased the parts to make the female connectors to plug into the "Y" connection under the seat (ACC outlet)..

Thanks again, you have been a tremendous help.
The Sirius reciever is 12 volt

Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IAMSWUTIAMS

ORIGINAL: SFarace20

Thanks Texas!! I did use it and it worked perfectly. I made it part of the line and it worked. I read several posts where they said they just hooked it up directly... I can't figure it out... they must have12v receivers, I guess. My next project it to hook upa GPS to the ACC switch connection under the seat. I noticed that the connection (under the seat) has 4 wires and the power out of the GPS only has 2 (cigarette lighter power)... any ideas. I have purchased the parts to make the female connectors to plug into the "Y" connection under the seat (ACC outlet)..

Thanks again, you have been a tremendous help.
The Sirius reciever is 12 volt

NOT TRUE. Some may be, but the Starmate 4 I bought recently has a small transformer built into the cigarette power cord. 12v into the cord, but only about 4.5 volts actually to the radio. 12v will fry the radio. before you automatically put 12v to the radio, check out the supplied power cord to ensure it isn't stepping down the voltage.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:06 AM
SFarace20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has sure been a learning experience. I am amazed at how much information was available on this topic, and how different the information is. I also appreciate everybody contributing. I am mechanically skilled, however, when it comes to electronics I am a novice. My Sirius Receiver is not a 12v unit, it is 4.5. I did hook it up directly (12v) and it did not fry, or blow any fuses, it just would not go on. Then I hooked it up from the same power source (the additional light hookups for international models) through the cigarette lighter adapter and it worked. I tightened, taped, and tidyed everything up, tucked it under the fairing, double checked that everything still workedand called it a day!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:03 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Like with anything else, sometimes ya gotta double-check stuff. Can't count the number of times over the years I "presumed" that something was one way, and found it to be different!

Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 PM
swipter
Tourer

Well I read this thing three times and am still baffled. If I ever want to do this, which I was thinking about, I will offer lunch for the help.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Anytime, mah friend........you ride w/Gruene HOG??

Old 07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, technically it can't be a transformer since they don't work with direct current. "Voltage divider" would be a better term.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Anytime, mah friend........you ride w/Gruene HOG??
I was thinking about riding with Gruene hog. Cowboys is a little far.