Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some question about an 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
WichitaGreg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some question about an 07 Ultra

I just purchased an 07 Ultra, used. It has 5200 miles on it, was put into service in March of this year.

It has dealer installed Bub Rinheart(sp) true duals, an oil cooler, and from wha I can find out, no mods to the intake or the EFI code (stock download?).

The dealer did the 1000 miles service and there were no complaints noted or found.

They put in SYN3.

I've only ridden it a little, to work and back and to lunch. I have not noticed any problems with excessive heat. But then again I would not know it unless it burned my leg at a stop light.

I've read about overheating problems, and was just wondering if the former owner applied the right mods and I shouldn't let it worry me. I'm not much into tinkering, so I won't mess with it unless it is broke. I just want to ride, ride, ride.

I've been riding all my life, 1000cc, 1500/1600cc and most recently the 2053cc Vulcan. Bikes are not new to me, but this is my first Harley (I'm 54).

If I need to, the ThunderMax unit is probably what I would get, and some form of better breathing intake. So far, 96ci is plenty and I don't miss the tons of torque (100hp and 133 tq)on the 125ci Vulcan (much).

Thanks for any responses, and ride safe!

Greg
Wichita
http://www.noller.net

Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
arh1952
Intermediate
Default RE: Some question about an 07 Ultra

I have an 07 Ultra with 7500 miles, if I were you unless something showed up, I would leave it alone. When you start with Mod's you will get too many choices and to many suggestions. Just Ride Man!!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser

I would do the intake and programmer. It will cool down a bit, and run better. I did the screaming eagle intake, and the Vance And Hines Fuel Pak. I wont claim that it is the best system, but I'm happy with it. It tamed the heat a bit. You can also get those shields that will protect your leg from the heat. I dodn't remember what they are called, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
SFarace20
Cruiser

You need to richen up the A/F mixture. The lean condition is what is causing the heat. Thundermax, PC III USB, SERT, and there are a few other options. I installed the PC III it was simple and worked great!!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

We can all put in our .02$ worth, but if you are happy with it stock then RIDE IT! If you want to see the bikes potential then put in a SERT or ThunderMax and you'll wake the bike up and cool the engine down. Either way you have a nice scoot!

Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have Rinehart TD's then ya better hope they also did a download... If not I would complete the Stage 1 and install a fuel management system....

Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo, an informed response. At least for the first part, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
ORIGINAL: Geezer Glide Bob

We can all put in our .02$ worth, but if you are happy with it stock then RIDE IT! If you want to see the bikes potential then put in a SERT or ThunderMax and you'll wake the bike up and cool the engine down. Either way you have a nice scoot!
and to this quote: "You need to richen up the A/F mixture. The lean condition is what is causing the heat. Thundermax, PC III USB, SERT, and there are a few other options. I installed the PC III it was simple and worked great!!!!" I must have missedyour complaint or issue about a heat problem.

there are some "gear heads" on this site, and then there are those of us (I saw it typed here before "gear heads") who repeat the same as gospel. FYI, I'm not a gear head, but I don't think I'm entirelyignorant either. Somehow the notion of reduced back preasure (true duals) could causea lean condition oroverheating is possibly incorrect.Loss of torque at higher RPMs and performance, you bet. Excessive heat or lean condition, seems questionable?? This non-gear head doesn't understand.Increasing the air flow (breather intake modifications) can lead to lean/hot engine conditions. Reducing back preassure? I just don't understand............

at least that's what I've read here from other dipsticks like myself..............

Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 PM
WichitaGreg
Advanced

Thanks for all the responses...

I guess this is what I will do:

ThunderMax with Auto Tune, K&N Stage 1 air filter kit. Orderd and shipped. With the Ture Duals from BuB/Reinheart, this should make nice power.

For oil, Mobile 1 15W50 in the engine, Mobile 1 20W50 Motorcycle Oil in the Primary, and Mobile 1 75W140 in the Transmission.

Air in the tires will come from my own compresser.

Greg
Wichita
07 Ultra
http://www.noller.net

Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 AM
WichitaGreg
Advanced

What brand and size of tire is considered the best replacement? Stock? Avon? I had Avon's on my Valkyrie and loved them.

Greg
07 Ultra

Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg
Welcome to the forum! Many on this forum have switched to the Metzler ME 880's. A friend of mine that bought my oldgoldwing switched to the 880's and let me take it for a ride afterward. The difference was very noticeable. I just replaced the rear tire on my ultra with a Dunlop. Next time when I replace both front and rear tires it will be with 880's. Avon also makes a good tire.

Quick Reply: Some question about an 07 Ultra